Friday, October 12, 2018

A Freeze and Public Sculpture - An Unlikely Pairing

We finally had our first hard freeze, and I've broken down and grabbed my parka from the closet. Even though we might have a few days of Indian Summer in the remaining days of October, I can't count on that. It bothers me, though. Usually, at least based on the many years I've lived up here in the Frozen Northlands, we don't get quite these temps until much later in the month, sometimes not even until November. We're running ahead of ourselves right now, and that doesn't bode well for the upcoming snowy season. 



Sometimes I function better just putting on my headphones and
turning on music. This fabulous sculpture by Jaume Plensa
is entitled "Istambul Blues". The kneeling figure is
composed entirely of musical staves and notes. 



Everything seems a bit off this year. We're ahead of the game on the weather, and I'm WAY behind the game on my Holiday Cards. I know I have to get into gear and get going on them, and I'm STILL undecided about subject matter and exactly what, if anything, to include as a little gift within the envelope. It's been a difficult year for so many of us and we've been sporadically in contact where we used to be in touch almost daily. I've got to make some firm decisions, and it has to be quick. 



Continuing with the musical theme, here's a delightful
fiddle-playing frog sculpture, located in the town
of Clayton, North Carolina. 



But, as I said, everything seems a bit off-kilter right now. The weather is ahead, and plans are running behind. Schedules are thrown away - tossed behind shoulders with disgusted abandon. How best to make sense of it all? I'm not sure that's possible, but I've got to try. 



I'm not sure I like this particular sculpture. Entitled "Points
of View", it stands in Houston, Texas. If it was a couple
of months earlier, I'd be looking at this as if it was a
tornado holding a lot of corn dogs from the State Fair.
I dread to think about how much this sculpture cost or what
future generations will say about it. Maybe it will
become beloved, but I suspect not. 



So as I layer my clothing to stand outside the gym doors in our early freezing temperatures, I'll be trying hard to focus. I suspect that's a lot easier said than done, but if I can manage do to that for a few days, a lot of the loose bits will be swept up and I'll be able to dive into to the next project without regret. Enjoy your Friday and treat yourself to a sweet or savory morsel. You deserve it! I'll be back tomorrow. Oh, and tomorrow is Ironman in Hawaii. One of my gym buddies will be competing this year. Go Kevin!!! 




No comments: