Thursday, August 23, 2018

Housecleaning Led to Dreams of Dragons

I actually got quite a lot of cleaning done yesterday, the bulk of which was half of the bathroom cleaning finished and a serious clean of my dragon shelving and my glass display top scattered around my living room. I love my dragons - although there is only a single dragon mentioned in "Lord of the Rings", there are dragons mentioned in "The Silmarillion" and I've always been fascinated by them. In fact, one of my published stories was entitled "Dragon Seeks a Wife", so I guess I'm a bit dragon-crazy. That said, I have a wall of dragons in my house. 



This guy looks a bit coy - like he's tempting
you to just get a little bit closer before
banging you with his tail and eating
you for lunch. 



Aside from the dragon calendars, the fact that my laptop is named "FrakenSmaug" and features a picture of a small dragon reading a spell book, and the variety of plaster dragons that perch on the shelf over my computer in my study, I have a wall of dragons. These molded and assembled dragons number more than 40 and were a complete set, purchased over time. Each dragon is distinctly different with wonderful personalities, designed by Todd McFarlane and sold between 2005 and 2008. I'm not sure if I have a complete collection, but I have most, if not all, of them. (Want to see the complete set? Follow the link here.) 


I'm just going to add photos of some of the incredible
dragons in the series. Here, the young lady is
being "rescued" by the knight. She seems pretty
well protected by the dragon, however. 




I have them displayed in a set of assembled glass cubes that make up a half-wall between my living room and the upstairs hallway. When I first purchased the house this space was an array of plastic ferns (pausing to shudder at the extreme ick-factor of plastic ferns). I would have ripped them out immediately, except my cat Muffy delighted in jumping up, snuggling into the ferns, and playing "jungle kitty". After she passed, though, the plastic ferns were history. 



Each dragon is distinctly different, and there
is a large range of sizes too. Here the woman
has tamed the forest dragon. 



The cubes sit two high and seven across with open space above the top for my larger pieces. Yesterday each beastie was removed, each cubicle was cleaned - top, sides and bottom, and the dragons were replaced once again, sometimes rearranged from cubicle to cubicle. I noticed some sculpts that need repair and others that are close to needing some. Guess I'd better pull out the good glue and get to work on this over the winter. I'd like my dragons to take wing proudly once more. 



I love the water dragon from Series 3. It floats
above the coral nodule as if swimming past. 



On that note, I'll drive by the Fairgrounds today and traffic will be heavy, the scents of greasy food will be starting to waft over the general area, and the sounds of music, conversation and crowds of people will fill the air. The State Fair opens today and I'm so happy. Chickie will be there today with her friends from Alberta, Canada and I won't be there until next weekend, but I can enjoy the thought of a footlong hot dog and a Guinness at O'Gara's in my future. 



Do you see the head just peeking out
from under his wing? I've always
loved the concept and coloring of
this sneaky dragon. 



Happy Thursday. I'll be working hard for the next few days since I'll be missing Chickie, but I'll get my revenge next week when it's my turn to desert her - LOL. Have a great day and I'll be back tomorrow. Now it's time to get to the pool. 




No comments: