Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Mufflers Can Fall and A Last Royal Wedding Word

Well, one can never say that DH and I don't live an "interesting" life. Maybe a little bit of boredom wouldn't go wrong. Yesterday evening, as DH was backing out of the store's parking lot, I heard a very loud noise. I banged on his windows to get him to stop and pull back into the parking spot, then looked at the back of his car, where his muffler was angling down, dragging the tailpipe on the asphalt behind him. No wonder it was loud! 



DH's muffler was angled so that the tailpipe was actually the part
dragging on the ground, but it was this bad! 



He continued on toward home, and I followed a few minutes behind him. Almost home he texted that he would go directly to our car repair guys. I had already spoken to them setting up a 7:00 am appointment for today, but it was the better decision to drive straight there. As I drove into their parking lot, I saw the muffler lying on the asphalt of the upper section as DH was parking his car in the lower service lot. 



Driving down to the service bays of the repair shop, I saw
his muffler lying on the pavement. 



DH went up with gloves on to retrieve the fallen muffler, then we went in and gave the repair guys the key. Since DH is working for Chickie today (she's going to the baseball game with her brother, taking a day of vacation), it actually works out well. The service guys can have the car for the day, DH can join me for breakfast, and transportation won't be a problem. 

I have to admit that seeing the muffler sitting on the pavement as I drove down to where DH had parked his car made me laugh. It was one of the funnier things I'd see for a while, and the placement was actually quite lucky - it was a bit out of the way and wouldn't endanger any other drivers or vehicles. 



Lady Diana, Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton all had
very different styles in dress and in tiaras. I'm really
coming down on the side of Kate Middleton for the
dress as well as the tiara, although Meghan's veil was
spectacular. 



A few final thoughts on the Royal Wedding. First, there was a question about the tiara - whether it was the same one that Princess Diana had worn. Here is a photo of all three brides in their tiaras. Princess Diana wore the Spencer tiara, which belonged to her family, dating back several generations. Kate Middleton wore the Cartier Halo tiara which holds almost 1000 diamonds. It was classic and elegant without being weighty. Meghan Markle wore Queen Mary's Sapphire Bandeau. 



I adored Kate Middleton's dress, and still do. That lace bodice, beautifully
fitted, and the V-neck, were stunning. Her train was long, but not
overly so. Her gown is still being made and worn today - years after
the event, in price ranges from $299 on up. It's still high up there
in wedding dress popularity. We'll have to wait and see how popular
Meghan's gown is over the years, although it's also lovely. 



And a final word on "the dress". When I compare the three dresses - that of Lady Diana, Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle, I have to say that I love Kate's Alexander McQueen dress the best, but I adored the embroidered tulle train of Meghan's ensemble. Of course, I'm a major fan of designer Alexander McQueen anyway, so maybe my opinion doesn't count. There was really nothing much that I liked about Lady Diana's dress (it was so totally over the top), although her fashion style later on in her life was impeccable. 

Happy Tuesday to all. Enjoy your day and hope that there is enough undercarriage left to DH's car to attach a new muffler. The car is more than 25 years old, and I'm sure there's a lot of rust on that frame. I'll be back on Wednesday. 


No comments: