Thursday, May 24, 2018

Memorial Day Weekend Count-down

I'm in count-down mode for Memorial Day weekend. It's always a wonderful thing to have an extra day off from work, DH and I are looking forward to a day of relaxation, bratwurst on the grill, and afternoon Margaritas under the patio umbrella. It'll be hot - REALLY hot. Starting today, our temps for the weekend will be in the 80's to 90's! Those are July temperatures WAY early. One more example of how messed up our climate is. 



I'm not a fan of mosquitoes. Their bites irritate
the skin, and they transmit diseases. It is a
solid part of our summers here in the land
of 10,000+ lakes, though. 



We haven't had mosquitoes yet, but I saw my first nymphs flitting around my car doors yesterday afternoon, so the full-grown adult versions are quickly on their way. Damn. The mosquitoes might be the bad part about our upcoming weekend. If they mature quickly in our upcoming heat, we might be attacked. 



We always use Kingsford Charcoal for
our grill. Finding them on sale at such
as tremendous savings was a treat!
Now we're set for the summer. 



I'm fully stocked on charcoal for the grill, though. When we went to Home Depot the other day for plants, etc., we looked at their charcoal (two 18.5-lb bags for $15.99) and thought, "Hmmm, not a bad price," but we didn't buy it. We used up the last of our stock later that day, so more charcoal before our weekend became a priority. 

I went to WalMart yesterday for salsa that seems to only be stocked there, and checked their price on charcoal while I was there. Two 15-pound bags for $16.99! HORRID price. I went back to Home Depot, and voila! They were running a 5-day sale - two 18.5 bags of charcoal for ... $9.99!!! I picked up four bags. That was a price that couldn't be beat! 



We don't have a fancy grill. We use a
standard Weber 22" charcoal grill for our
outdoor cooking during the summer. We
did buy a new grill late last summer, our
old one (more than 20 years old) finally
burned through its' sides. 



So we're set for the weekend, except it won't be here for a few more days. We'll swelter in the heat wave until Sunday, then relax for a couple of days. I'll be at the shop working during the days, and I have air conditioning there. DH, on the other hand, will be working at home in the yard in 80-90 degree heat. I'm sure we'll also have some thunderstorms with this heat wave, so we're in for an interesting few days. 

Stay cool, stay safe, and start planning your own Memorial Day weekend, if you haven't already. Have a great Thursday and I'll be back tomorrow. 


No comments: