Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Viewing The World and Memory

Now that I actually have my computer glasses as well as my standard bifocal ones, I'm trying to get used to the fact that I have two different sets and I'm trying really hard not to wear the wrong pair in the wrong situation. Although I can read with my bifocals, things at the computer screen distance are a slight bit fuzzy. That's resolved when I actually wear my computer glasses, but I can't drive well in those, and reading my phone with that pair requires me to hold it away from me at a longer than comfortable distance. 



Now I have my standard bifocals and my computer glasses for the
mid-range vision. Now I need to get one more set re-lensed, but
I'm not in as much of a hurry for that. I have vision now, so I'm happy. 


How did I discover all of this? LOL On Sunday, after the craft show, DH was in bed because his hip was bothering him so much. I went out to collect dinner, and realized on the way that I had my computer glasses on. I can drive without glasses - my correction isn't that great for longer distances. So I pulled the glasses off and had no problem getting to the restaurant for take-out. But reading my list of what DH wanted for his meal was a bit more challenging. 



Memory for me has always been a hallway of infinite doorways.
Through each door - size irrespective - is a memory I'm looking
for at any given time. It could be an event, or merely a word. 


Growing older isn't for the faint at heart. I keep hoping that I will be able to grow into old age gracefully, but already find small memory blocks appearing more frequently. The words or terms I am hunting for always reappear, but not after an instant of searching. Often it takes several minutes before the answer will pop back into my head. It's the oddest feeling - like looking down a corridor of familiar doorways and turning to go into a room, only to find that it's been dry-walled over and painted to a matte black finish. Wandering past the door later, you recognize that it's once again open and paneled, as if it had never been touched. 



My brain is corridors and hallways of
different heights and different construction
techniques. 


A loss of memory is frightening because it's something we all rely on. My memory issues are quite minor right now - not remembering the word malachite while looking at a poster yesterday really isn't the end of the world. But if this becomes progressive, if this develops into something more frequent, more blatant, and if it paints my life with a larger brush, then I'm going to be standing in some deep shit. That's rather frightening, and a part of growing older that I really don't want to experience. 



I'm not sure if I agree with William Blake 100%, but it's an
interesting concept to think about. 


I'll keep on keeping on, though. I'll stay with my schedule - swimming, a reasonable breakfast, lots of fresh fruit for lunch, keeping up with the calcium and Vitamin D, and work/art/life. It's all I can do and really, isn't that the reason we keep going? I want to enjoy my retirement some day. I've worked hard for it and I deserve a bit of fun. Goals - they're great to strive for. Have a wonderful Tuesday. I'm going to have an extremely busy day at work, so I'd better get going on getting this post out there. I'll be back tomorrow. 


No comments: