Monday, April 23, 2018

Sunday Beauty Shared With You

I had a great time at the ACC Show yesterday, wandering the aisles and looking at all of the various artwork produced by so many talented people. DH did come with, but his hip was hurting him a lot and by the end of the show, he was in serious pain. It put a cramp in the rest of our day because when he hurts like that, he pulls back into himself rather like a tortoise pulls into its' shell. We settled down at our respective computers for the remainder of the afternoon and had a quiet evening watching an old episode of "Midsomer Murders". 

There were a few artists whose work, in person, was spectacular. I have already shown most of them to you, but they merit a second shout-out. 



Lynda Barh's metal mosaic was as good
in person as in her publicity photo. A
stunning mix of textures and colors. 


Lynda Bahr's metal mosaic work was spectacular and intricate. I fell in love with her bracelets, but her smaller items - pins, pendants and rings - were also quite nice. I didn't ask pricing here, but there was some serious labor being put into the work. 



Chris Armstrong's felted wool sculptures were impeccable and
so intricate. He had a family of foxes to die for, and a
hedgehog that was playing the violin that was so cute!
I fell in love with all of his "Wind in the Willows"
sculptures. 


Chris Armstrong's felted soft sculptures were phenomenal. He took scenes from well-loved books and brought them to life. He had one of Rat and Mole dressed in their robes, seated in chairs and talking in front of a fireplace that just resonated with me. I'm such a "Wind in the Willows" fan and he brought the characters to life. 



Ivy Woodrose had amazing clarity and depth in her
enamels. Even after seeing them in person, I'm
unsure about whether she was using heat or
resin enamels, but her designs were gorgeous. 


Ivy Woodrose's enamels were lovely. She textured the base metal or added small metal charms at the bottom, then applied the enamel. I didn't physically handle the pieces, but the clarity and the depth seemed to indicate resin enamel instead of vitreous enamel. I've worked with both types and love each of them for different reasons. I couldn't fault the quality of the work at all - it was stunning. 



I really loved the bent wood bracelets of Tom Evans. The
one that I really fell in love with was two bands
of highly finished apricot wood with three small
aventurine beads separating the bands. 


Tom Griffith Evans' wooden jewelry was in a pop-up stall. The ACC has several booths that are shared between 4-5 artists, cutting their exhibition costs down and allowing them to get a foot into the door, attract a discerning audience, and test-market their dreams. I loved his pieces - bent wood and precious stone beads made from trees that were dying from old age on his land in northern New Mexico. I felt he was priced WAY too high, but his designs and the actual work were impeccable. 



I own two sets of Keith Lewis' sterling silver kinetic
earrings and I love them. He's doing some work
with stone and pearls now that I'm really liking. 


Two other artists caught my eye, although there weren't any surprises about that. Keith Lewis makes jewelry with movement - mainly earrings. I own two pairs of his earrings and he is also lovely with follow-up and repairs when I've needed some fixing. He had a few sets where he used spears of threaded quartz instead of metal and those were fantastic. 



I adore Mark Laub's furniture. He had a giant winged
scarab this year that was so amazing. I'm putting
a link in his paragraph. He has several videos on
his cabinets page that show how his furniture
opens and closes. 


Mark Laub exhibited again, and as always I'm in love with his works. They are statement pieces and so elaborate. I'm including a link here because many of his items are also shown in small videos so that you can see how they open and how they are display artistry of the highest level. 

So there you have my Sunday - at least two hours of it - encapsulated. It would have been a perfect day if DH's hip hadn't been so painful, but he didn't have a good day at all. I hope all of you have a great Monday and remember to make something nice today - cook a great meal, write a perfect paragraph, or just settle yourself down with a cup of tea and a good book. Make it the best nice you can and I'll be back tomorrow. 



No comments: