Saturday, April 21, 2018

Hope Spring Eternal - Is Spring Finally Here?

Hope springs eternal, right? We've now had almost a full week without snow. The 15.8 inches we received last weekend are now a distant memory and our temperatures have been balmy over the past two-three days with low 50's for the highs. We're losing snow pack quickly and seeing that sad excuse for grass that has been hidden from sight for months and months. It's exciting, and I'm hopeful that we've finally banished Winter from us until late this year. 



Nicolette Absil from Philadelphia PA is a new
artist this year, specializing in enamel. I'm
curious about her technique and want a
closer look. Enamel is one of my own art
forms and I love learning from others. 



Of course Spring has its own issues. This year's Spring will be very fast - a mere nod of her regal head before her more headstrong sister, Summer, pushes her aside and takes over the playground. That's a shame, because I really love Spring, and Summer is not my favorite season - too hot, too humid, and of course we'll get some epic thunderstorms and their accompanying tornadoes. Still, life is never boring here in the Frozen Northlands. 



Look at these fabulous stuffed animals by Chris Armstrong
from Nashville TN. The attention to detail is amazing. 
You could almost imagine this conversation. 



Those of us who live up here take to Spring and those warmer temps in very different ways. Yesterday, driving home from the shop at night, the temp was 52 F - a temp that we'll consider cold in most times. I had my car's moonroof uncovered, but not opened. Ahead of me on the road was a sporty convertible with the top down! The two girls in the car still had coats on, but they looked as if they were enjoying the experience. I'm afraid I'd be huddled in the back seat, freezing. Fifty-two degrees F is a temp that we haven't seen since last November, but it's still not hot enough for a drop-top - at least in my opinion. 



Tom Evans from Albuquerque NM is a new artist
this year. He works in wood to create jewelry.
Since I've become so metal sensitive as I age,
this might be a great jewelry alternative for me. 



My shop is near one college campus and I live across the street from a different college. I'm seeing the young men (usually only the men, not the women) already wearing t-shirts and cargo shorts, despite the temps only being in the low 50's. Jackets have come out of storage and heavier coats are being put away until next fall/winter. I'm looking forward to doing that too, but when I leave the house it is still in the mid-30's, so too cold for a mere jacket. 



Amy Faust from Oakland, CA uses mixed materials
to create some very organic shapes and styles.
She's new this year and I'm looking forward to
seeing her work. 



But I do feel that Spring is in the air, hovering just the other side of the door. If we manage to make it through this next week without snow, I'm calling Winter finished for this season and I'll be welcoming Spring - probably with a good Spring clean in my house. I'm SO ready for it! 



Autumn Higgins is a local ceramic artist. I have a
feeling these may be sized as Saki cups, but
I'll have a better idea when I see them in person.
Her techniques and images are interesting. 



Have a wonderful weekend. I've peppered this post with more artists from the ACC Show that we'll be attending on Sunday. Enjoy the artwork and have an excellent weekend, I'll be back on Monday. 


No comments: