Wednesday, March 21, 2018

The Wheel Has Turned Again

We had schnee, or snain, or sleet (which isn't nearly as fun a description) yesterday and I'm hoping the roads won't be an icy mess to drive on this morning. I know many of you on the East Coast got totally pounded with your latest Nor'easter yesterday, and I hope all of my friends out there are safe, warm and cozy. It's been a harsh winter, which is going to make spring so much nicer when she finally comes into her own. 



I think one of my favorite times of the year is that short time
while our various fruit trees are in flower. We still have a
month or so until that happens, but it always lifts my heart. 



We're actually through the worst of it now, although we still can get some cold and snow for another month. Usually snow at this time of the year is wet and heavy, but melts quickly. A freeze too late in the year can kill the fruit crop for the upcoming summer and fall, though, so we really don't want that. Our flowering trees are so stunning when they finally pop. It's like the explosion of a cracker around the dinner table, or opening one of those "snake in a can" things we had when we were kids. 



Do you remember snakes in a can? It's actually
still available. I was a bit surprised. Still, I
suppose gag gifts never actually go out of
style. 



I mentioned on Monday that our trees were fluffy. It's a joy to my heart when that happens. It means that even though there might be snow on the ground, the seasons continue to move toward spring and summer. 



Ostara - the middle of spring. The earth is awakening once
again and growth and new births are happening. By the time
of Beltane in early May, we'll be ready to welcome Summer. 



Yesterday was Ostara - the Spring Equinox. A lot of you were looking out from your front doors, shaking your heads and thinking the calendar was having a huge joke on you and your neighbors. What I always have to remind myself is that the Equinox isn't the beginning of Spring, it's the middle of it. Spring actually begins with Imbolc in early February, right around Groundhog Day. From yesterday's Ostara, we move toward Beltane in May which is the start of Summer. So breathe, everyone. Winter truly is waning and Spring is actually walking the earth, gathering her green raiment around her one leaf at a time. 



It was absolutely too cold to dance in a circle in lightweight
clothing, but I still enjoyed looking at this image. I thought I'd
at least share this Dance of the Wheel with all of you. 



Today is my "day off" and I'll be doing the usual - grocery shopping, house cleaning, lots of laundry, and some cooking. It's been a very busy week at work, so I'm hoping I can relax a bit today before jumping back into it again tomorrow. I hope each of you have a wonderful Wednesday and I'll be back tomorrow. 


No comments: