Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Simple Things That Mean So Much - Quilts

There are simple things that mean a lot to each of us. One of my simple things is a quilt - a star quilt that I used nightly where I sleep. It comes to mind this morning because it needs a repair and I have to think about whither or not to give it up to my friend who runs a custom clothing alterations and repair shop. If I do, I'd have to give up my quilt for a week or two and I'm so reluctant to do so. 



Lakota star quilts are ceremonial and used for commemorating
many different occasions. Baby sized ones are used for
newborns, and the elderly are buried in them. They are a
cherished gift, not casually given. 



My quilt has developed a tear in the backing and some of the stitching is unraveling. It was made by my sister in honor of my grandmother's death, and was one of two that she sent to me as a "Thank You" for my help within the family and an acknowledgement of what I had meant to her and to my grandmother. The second star quilt is satin, so beautiful and quite slippery. It is a reminder of the satin star quilt which draped grandmother's coffin when we buried her many years ago. Although I love the satin quilt, it is the simple cotton quilt that holds my heart. 



Although color choices are optional, more often than not
they will at least use sunrise colors within the star on a white
background. The preferred quilting stitching is usually
circular patterns - not the fancy quilting you will often
find in Nordic white-on-white quilts. 



I'm not really sure why I'm so attached to this patterned cotton blanket. It's the perfect weight - can be covered with an afghan (one that my mother made while watching evening television decades ago) if the room is cold overnight, or just used on its own for temperate nights. If it's super hot, I'll often just have it draped nearby. But that cotton star quilt is always on top or near me. DH uses a tied quilt that was given to him as a thank you for work done at a different relative's memorial, on a different Indian reservation. His quilt is also starting to fall apart. 



This stunning Star Quilt was made by Nellie Star Boy Menard
from Rosebud, South Dakota; a Lakota woman. The quilt was
made for her grandson. She received a National Heritage
Fellowship in 1995 for her quilting. Are you interested in
Native American quilts? Here's a link to a lovely exhibit
from Michigan State University. 



I suppose it's the way of all things, that they are used and finally fall into disrepair. But these quilts that we use daily are a part of our lives and, by this time, a part of our personal heritage. So, I will take a serious look at my star quilt when the weather gets warmer. I'll purchase and wash the fabric that I want to put onto the back, and I'll think about whether I want to let someone else do the repair, or whether I want to beg a few days off from work and just settle down at my sewing machine and do the repair myself. I can do it - I have the capability. It's time that's my enemy here. 

Do you have a few special but simple things that mean the world to you? Share with me. What do you have and why does it mean more to you than things of much more monetary worth? Have an excellent Tuesday and to those of you in the East getting snow once again, bundle up. Spring is actually here, it's just waiting in the wings. 


No comments: