Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Dreaming of a River Cruise

I'm a bit rushed today, had to have some back-and-forth with a customer. Still, I want to get something out there for all of you, and I've been dreaming of doing one (or more) river cruises in Europe with DH after we're retired. I always get mailings from Viking River Cruises, and after looking at reviews of other companies, decided to request a catalog from Avalon Cruises as well. I've been slowly looking through their massive book of cruising choices and information. I think I'm really falling in love with the idea. 



There are two things I really like about Avalon Cruise line ships. The
first it the French balcony which opes up the entire end of the room,
making your room into a single large balcony. The other is the bed
position which allows you to lie in bed and watch the world pass by
in front of you. Pretty nifty! 



DH's idea of a vacation is a series of short drives from Point A to Point B. He's not in the mood to sit in the car for long lengths of time any more (very understandable) and he's really not in a mood to go outside the USA either, but I want to so he'll probably go at least once. It may never happen again, so I'll have to make it a good one. LOL



Rooms are small on board a ship - no two ways about that. But
I love the mirrored wall to the left that gives the illusion of
size, and having the bed positioned as it is allows a wonderful
vista of the land as it passes by. Here, it is of a Danube cruise. 



We haven't had a vacation together since 1994. That's what happens when you own your own small business and one or both of you need to be available at all times. It's rather like working a small "tienda" on the streets of any large city, but we don't carry milk and eggs, we carry beads and crafting supplies. It allows us to have reasonable hours, but we still have to be there six days a week. 



The major reason I'm looking at a river cruise is because it is
small and intimate. Avalon ships average 132 passengers and
50 crew. Viking River Cruises top out at 190 passengers and
50 crew. Either way, it's not the thousands of passengers
you get on the large cruise ships that travel the oceans.
Small can be good and can be very customized. 



So today, while enjoying my "day off" which, of course, entails laundry, housecleaning, grocery shopping, etc., I'll also be dreaming about river cruising and relaxing for several days in a row while looking at spectacular scenery. A girl can dream, yes? Enjoy your Wednesday and I'll be back tomorrow. 


No comments: