Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Tightening Cords and Stage 10 of Le Tour de France

Over the past two weeks several different items of mine with pull-top cording have come undone for various reasons. Looking at the latest cord I tossed away this morning, philosophical thoughts about tying lives together came to my mind. This particular cord was one of two for a small drawstring pouch that contains a set of earbuds for my phone. They are new - just out of the package - and they were inexpensive, so I probably shouldn't have been surprised that when I put them into the bag and pulled on the two cords to close it tight, one of the cords came off into my hand. Although it fastens fine with only one cord, I was going to rethread the other back into the open top until I realized it was the cordage itself that was the problem. It had broken in a weakened spot, not just come untied.


We're living on the edge right now - tempers are flaring
and people are frightened. Suspicion is the byword of the
day, instead of welcome. The cord is coming close to
breaking and the question becomes, "What will happen
when it actually breaks?" 


That's rather like relationships and politics. Hidden behind platitudes and vacant wordage, the cordage of a functional society of human beings can actually be cordage that is fraying and on its way to breaking. If the weakness is found, it can be repaired - knotted firmly or simply replaced with a different cord. But if the weakness is not found in time, it will break suddenly when placed under stress. It seems to me that our worldwide society is one of those fraying cords and we need to seek those weakened ends and either exorcise them or knot them more firmly into the fabric of our lives. Which do we do and how do we do it? Well ... that's the question now, isn't it?



Today we leave Andorra behind and return to hilly landscape as we begin
making our way towards Switzerland and the Alps. This week will provide
the sprinters with their last chances to get points, so it will be all out battles
to the finish. 

Today's stage of Le Tour takes us from Andorra to Revel. We're on our way to the Jura mountains for Sunday's exciting stage. Today's final peak of the Pyrenees is the highest point of this year's race, but it isn't as difficult a climb as others, thus only rates a Category 1 instead of an HC climb. I'll be running around dropping off some tax information and kitty feeding before I can settle down at the shop, thus I'll have to catch it on replay. Most people will be using the outdoor pool this morning, so I'll enjoy my semi-private indoor pool alongside my swimming friend Rosemary. Enjoy your Tuesday.


No comments: