Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Thoughts On Creativity

I am often labelled a "creative" person, even though I haven't had a chance to do much creative work in my preferred media for far too long. Still, I suppose I do look at the world from my own point of view - checking out angles, lighting, colors and textures, seeing typos in books and visualizing characters in my mind that I want to see more of in future volumes by authors I read. Is this creative thinking? Some might think it is. 


Creativity can be channeled, and sometimes can be dampened, but
it can never truly be eliminated. That flame always burns. 


My creativity lately has revolved around the remodeling of my house, playing with virtual jigsaw puzzles to relax, and planning two projects out in my head for when I actually have time to pull out my sketchbooks and pens. Will the projects be done or even started this year? It's hard to say since the year is already half-finished today and I haven't been able to start them yet. 


Ideas can be small or very large and colorful. They can
be a single concept or a melding of techniques. In all
cases, the ideas are still creative. 


Does that stop me thinking about projects, colors, how I want to use beads or stone, paint or metal? Hell no. Does that stop me from wanting to write again? No, of course not. But right now I have to be realistic enough to realize that my plate is groaning under the assortment of every-day things I'm working with. 


The tap of creative thinking isn't something that can be turned on or off, it
is always on, just sometimes it is lodged in place temporarily, before
it works loose flow with water once more. 


I think that's one of the beauties of creativity. It never really stops. It might plop itself down in the river for a long while, forcing the river's waters to pass by on each side, but eventually it will be uprooted once more and allowed to flow freely down the canyon and into real life. I know some of my friends on my various lists sometimes feel as though they have stepped out of the creative flow and wonder if that spark will ever return. I know it will return because once the tap of creativity has been accessed, it never truly shuts down again. Hibernation is perfectly OK because creative thinking will awaken once more. Happy end of June to all, and have a great Tuesday! 


No comments: