Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Already Looking Forward to Sunday

It's two weeks of culture for DH and me as we went to the American Craft Council show last Sunday and will go to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts this coming Sunday. The exhibit we're seeing is "The Habsburgs" and the moment I received notice of this exhibit I told DH "We're going to this one." It's not that it's so tremendous (although it is), it's that I'm the daughter of a Viennese woman and a man from Prague who was raised in Vienna, and this is, in essence, my history. I've never been to this nation my parents fled in 1938 as Hitler's tanks rumbled down the streets of Vienna. My mother never returned, and I think my father only went back a single time. Here are some of the items we'll be looking at up close and personal (I can hardly wait!).


Jan Thomas, "Margarita Theresa & Emperor Leopold I" (Detail).



Jacopo Robusti, aka Tintoretto, "Susanna and the Elders" (Detail), c. 1555/56. 



Hans Holbein, "Jane Seymour" (Detail), c. 1536/37. 



Peter Paul Reubens, "Lamentation of Christ" (Detail), c. 1614.



Michelangelo Merisi, called Caravaggio, "The Crowning with Thorns", (Detail),
c. 1602/1604. 



These magnificent works and many others including clothing, armor, even a full-sized carriage are on exhibition for this amazing tour through history. Other artists include Titian, Susini, Canaletto and Allegri. I'm already looking forward to it! Have a wonderful Tuesday, I'm off to the gym.


No comments: