Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Spinning Tales

In my life, the term spinning tales can encompass many things. It can mean that I'm talking about spinning a tale as in writing my fiction. It can mean spinning as in spinning wool at one of my spinning wheels or from one of my drop spindles. Or, it can mean what it means today - that the spin cycle of my washing machine isn't operating properly. Of the three possibilities, this last one is the one I like the least and the one that is keeping me from enjoying this wonderful day fully. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!


This is a lovely picture of an old Irish spinning wheel. It is
similar to a basic wheel that I learned to spin on.


I have an old washer. It's not as old as the first washer I had when I moved up to Minnesota. At that time we were poor - very poor - and the only washer available to me was my DH's grandmother's old wringer washer with the mangle on top. OK, for many of my readers, this will be a mystery. "What's she talking about? Didn't those like die in the Depression? How did they even work?" Questions such as these may be flowing through your mind. Be assured that yes, washing machines of that era actually do work, although they are hell on permanent press. This particular washer leaked oil whenever I used it, and so I did get into the habit of visiting the Laundromat on a weekly basis, I still used the old washer when I needed a quick load done and didn't have the time/money to go to the coin-operated laundry. When my DH gave me a new washer for Christmas it was one of the best days EVER. I'm not a great fan of receiving household appliances for holiday gifts, but this was a good one. I like clean clothes.


My wringer washer was quite similar to this model. It wasn't much,
but it beat having to run to the Laundromat every time I needed
something cleaned. It did the job, but it was so labor intensive!


When we moved into our current house, the washer/dryer models were similar. The washer was a bit more upscale, but the dryer was actually the identical model to what we had at our old house. I was pretty happy. I knew the brand and knew they were reliable. And so they have proven to be. I've been in my house for more than 25 years and I've never had a repairman out for my washer or dryer. But that will soon change.


This isn't my washer, but it is my washer model. See...it's old!


The washer is not spinning/rinsing well. When I open it after the cycle is complete, the towels are still soaking wet. I watched the spin cycle today and it just doesn't have the strength to deal with the clothes any more. So I'm down to two choices. (1) I can call a repairman and get the washer fixed - probably $200 or so, maybe more, or (2) I can purchase a new washer. DH offered to buy a new one, he fully realizes how old the equipment is and doesn't begrudge the expense. But the new washers out there don't have very good ratings for cleaning clothes or for maintenance issues. So I'm really hesitant about buying a new washer and am coming down on the side of repair.


The lonely Maytag repair guy. I'll be happy to give
him some business.


I think I'll call a highly-rated repair dude today and see if he can come out next week to take a look. Something has to be done - I need clean and fully rinsed clothes and this just isn't happening right now. So there you have it - spinning tales for the day.


Yes, I did it. Now to actually finish the novel (which I'm still writing
every day for at least 1000 words). 


Oh, and by the way, for those following these kinds of things (LOL), I validated my NaNoWriMo manuscript this morning at more than 57,000 words (although the novel isn't even CLOSE to being complete yet). But, another year's NaNo has now been successfully completed. Yeah me! - LOL.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Was renting a flat up in Darwin way back when I was in my early to mid twenties. They had one of these and I just HATED it as everytime I tried to wind my sheets through they would start winding around the top part and hitting the lever to stop it wouldn't work so by the time I did get it to stop I had one big mess and would take me ages to unwind it as it was wound around so tight
I do remember how wringer washer and put rubber diapers through that wringer diapers and explodes and I ruined a couple of shirts
Did you ever get anything caught in a wringer?or ruined a couple of shirts?

Anne said...

Was renting a flat up in Darwin way back when I was in my early to mid twenties. They had one of these and I just HATED it as everytime I tried to wind my sheets through they would start winding around the top part and hitting the lever to stop it wouldn't work so by the time I did get it to stop I had one big mess and would take me ages to unwind it as it was wound around so tight
I do remember how wringer washer and put rubber diapers through that wringer diapers and explodes and I ruined a couple of shirts
Did you ever get anything caught in a wringer?or ruined a couple of shirts?

Sandra Graves / Isis Rising said...

Oh yes, I wasn't fond of the wringer washer, but at least it was a washer, so it was better than nothing. Anything important, went to the laundromat with me once every week or two.