Friday, September 13, 2013

Superstitious? A Picture Blog Today

Today is Friday the 13th, a day that many people associate with negative connotations but one that I usually have very good luck on. There are numerous superstitions out there, some with long-standing traditions, others that are more personal. Do you hang your towels a certain way? Wear a sporting jersey when your home team is playing? Put your shoes on in a specific order? Those things may be tied to a personal superstition.


Full moons, the number 13 and black cats are some common
linchpins of superstition.


Superstition carried to extreme can feed into OCD behaviors. Obsessive/compulsive disorders can take a simple superstition like "If I wear my pink underwear on Friday when I take my exam, I'll do well because the last time I wore them for an exam I aced it," and pull it into extremes. "If it's Friday I must wear my pink underwear. If I don't do so, or if I have no pink underwear to put on, I will become off-balance, edging on hysteria." Extremes. Don't allow superstitions to take over your life, but indulge them occasionally for the fun (and possible edge) that they can bring you. I present to you, pictures of superstitious behaviors and beliefs.


Lucky rabbit foot - lucky for everyone except the poor rabbit...


Four-leafed clovers are supposed to bring luck...


Spilling salt - quickly...grab a pinch to throw over your shoulder...


Broken mirrors bring seven years of bad luck...



Black cats bring bad luck. Since all of my animals, both dogs and cats, have
always been black, I guess I've got lots of bad luck. But I adore black animals...


Superstitions exist world-wide. 


Don't forget about things like hats on beds, open umbrellas, and make sure you don't walk underneath any ladders. Enjoy your Friday the 13th!

No comments: