Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Wow Factor

What have you done or seen lately that caused you to stop and think "Wow!"? While watching a variety of TV shows lately, it seems like people were waiting for that "Wow!" to hit and it started me thinking (always a dangerous thing) about what I have done lately in my own life that would be "Wow!". Have I left my mark on this world? How will I be remembered?




I have blog posts - lots and lots of them, consistently, six days each week for years. That, as a work, could be a window into the psyche of an aging hippie if nothing else. I have a collection of works in progress - crafting, artwork and my original fiction pieces, but that's all in-progress. I have a wonderful house, husband, and a bunch of possessions (which are a little over-the-top right now until we get the latest "crap" put away), but they are just possessions.


Various earth works by Andy Goldsworthy.


I want to be able to look back at what I've produced and be happy with the mark I've left. I want to be able to write, paint, and work with my other art medias to allow my inner visions to finally be expressed. I have so many things in-works, and so little time to deal with them. I look around at my art books and I want to make things that make people's breath catch, just like mine does whenever I look at the art of Andy Goldsworthy or Vincent Van Gogh.  I want to write something that will hit the heart and emotions like TJ Klune or Marion Zimmer Bradley. I want to impact the world in a creative way, not just ring a cash register.


Like many of you, I had a poster of this on the wall of my dorm when I
was a college student. There's just something about this piece from Van Gogh. 


Don't get me wrong. I've helped hundreds of people with their personal quests to learn artforms, choose colors, and decide on projects. I've encouraged creativity in the shy, praised the efforts of the beginners as well as the experienced, and generally have tried to make a positive impact. But a positive impact isn't a "Wow!" factor. It's important - no doubt, but it's not a "Wow!".




So am I totally off-mark to want to leave an impact or at least something behind me that will be remembered after my death? What about you? What is your legacy for the future?

No comments: