Thursday, September 12, 2013

Genetics, Dominoes and Floods

I'm an adopted child, as is my DH. At the time we were adopted, our parents were assured that we had no inherited health issues that would endanger our lives, and since we're tickling 60 and still doing OK, I guess they were right. But I'm curious about my genetic heritage. Wouldn't you be if you were in my shoes? I'm not worried about what I may pass on to my children, I have none (by choice), but I'm still curious. There has been a series of commercials on TV lately for a genetic testing company called "23andMe" dot com. For approximately $100 they will test your saliva and present you with a report of your markers indicating possible health areas to monitor. I'm tempted. This would be more affordable than other genetic testing companies I've looked into. Maybe it would be a good holiday gift? Or not. Hmmm....




Yesterday's nightmare schedule actually worked out to the minute and I got almost everything on my list completed. In order to make it happen, everything had to fall into place like clockwork. Some people had to be available at their storefronts before their businesses opened, other places - the bank and the post office - had to be open for business, and highway traffic had to flow freely. All was accomplished efficiently and by 11:45 am I had finished shopping at the grocer, put the groceries away and had my chicken breasts in the oven cooking. Less than an hour later I had a couple of pork tenderloins in the oven roasting and was washing grapes - lots and lots of grapes. I worked for almost three hours late in the afternoon, having a delightful 1+ phone call with Aearwen, then returned home to turn on the dryer for the sheets and towels. I was folding the last load of laundry as the final episode of "Masterchef" began - almost perfect timing. So all in all, it was a good day.


All of my dominoes fell into place and my errands were accomplished easily.


My thoughts and prayers are going out to my friends in Boulder and Denver, Colorado today as they deal with torrential rains and devastating flooding. Many students and faculty are being evacuated from the CU campus for safety. The rains really hit overnight, so I don't have pics of this particular flood yet, but here are some pics from other city floods to share with all of you.


I'm really impressed by the water coming through the railings of this
stairway. I don't know where this was taken, but it was from August 2013. 



This flooding was from springtime down the slopes of Mount Hood in Oregon. 



And there is nothing like gathering with friends around a floating table in a
Venetian plaza. 


So floods happen all over, but 6-8 inches of rain in the Boulder area can lead to flash flooding which, in those mountain canyons, can be dangerous and deadly. I hope your Thursday will be calmer than theirs might be.

No comments: