Monday, April 8, 2013

Remembering Mom and Dad

If my mother was still alive, today would be her 101st birthday. So my thoughts have to turn to her and other mothers I've known in my life. They spent their lives furthering their households and their families and, in the time that I was raised, rarely indulged themselves in tasks of their own choosing. Thank goodness times have changed and women can explore things of personal interest and indulge in activities that bring them personal satisfaction instead of just being a household accessory.

Mom around age 40.

Was my Mom a household accessory? I'm really unsure about that. My Mom was a craftsperson, an artist and designer whose influence was felt in every home in which we lived. My Father practically worshipped her and did everything for her until he was finally able to begin fulfilling dreams of his own. Both of my parents were quite independent and seemed to work well as a pair but also extremely well as singles. Mom was never dependent on Dad, nor was Dad dependent upon her. It was a good partnership.

Dad was an author of textbooks on learning German.

So as I dive into a very busy week with a morning of errands before I open the store today, I take a couple of minutes of time to reflect upon my parents. All in all they were pretty fabulous people.

No comments: