Monday, November 23, 2009

Four More Sundays

I try to be OK with working on Sundays during the holiday season. And I had a few customers yesterday. But it is really there for a convenience for my customers and I really don't like giving up my day off to help people spend their $10 on beads for a project that is only half-developed in their heads. I know that sounds simply snarky and that the negative outlook isn't common to my general outlook, but I'm tired. When I'm tired I start to get cranky. It won't last for long - I am a generally optimistic person, but right now - in the present - I'm cranky.
This is Thanksgiving week. I get an extra day off this week, and that's great. But I have to cut my Wednesday down to go into the shop in mid-afternoon so that I can get the decorations finished and actually have my day off. And I have to put up with crowds at my grocer because everyone will be buying their Turkey Day stuff. That doesn't thrill me.
Still, there have been things over the past year that I am very thankful for. I am very thankful that I reconnected with my long-time friend Seth. After almost 30 years of no contact, we managed to reconnect and meet again and it was like finding a part of myself that I had walled up. Now there are windows and wonderful draperies, a warm fire and comfortable chairs in what had been a stone and spider-filled dungeon. I'm also thankful for the directions that my art have gone over the past year. I've tried a lot of new techniques and projects and, generally, I'm really pleased with the results. I have a long way to go, but I'm starting to find my niche and my own voice. And, of course, I'm very thankful for the things that have allowed me to live my life - not always the way that I wanted, but fully. My husband, my friends, my Gods. All are good. All are amazing. All are cherished.

No comments: