Friday, November 20, 2009

Definitions

I'm always rather amazed (and flattered) when people call me talented. There are so many other people out in the world who are far more talented than I am. People who have the ability to pick up an pencil and begin drawing and have something totally wonderful to look at within an hour. People who can look at a range of color pots with a brush in their hands and paint something exceptional within a short time. And people who can take metal and make it sing to the point that it will become wondrously complex and beautiful. I am not one of any of those people. I slog. I work hard at it. I don't think I have talent as much as perseverance and pure stubbornness. I have the internal vision of what I want to make and I try my utmost to make it happen. And sometimes, if the God/Goddess smiles, I have positive results.
I am trying to work on the settings for my enamel pieces for my cloak. I got the first piece refined yesterday morning and I'll have the second piece refined today or tomorrow. But then I'll have to get the additions on - the pin backs (two for each boss), the bezels on the front side, and maybe the corrugated wire accent (still undecided on that). I haven't soldered in months (I know - my jewelry friends will be appalled at this, but I simply haven't had the time and I've been involved in other projects). So, here I am, trying to reinvent the wheel for the umpteenth time. I wish I had a bit more confidence in my skill levels, but I'm determined that this will work (and it will). More practice would certainly make it easier, though....

No comments: