Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Beta Issues...

I beta for several people. For those who read my blog and may not be familiar with the term, beta means basic editing for authors or specific written articles. Currently I beta for a Tolkien-universe writer from Germany who is writing fan fiction, and for my cousin who is trying to do a series of presentations about her family history for a select audience. Last night I spent more than two hours working on my cousin's latest presentation. I was finished (finally) and told the computer to save. It didn't. Instead, the last 2-1/2 hours of my work disappeared into cyber-space. I checked back caches and the other things that I have set up as safety nets to forestall just such an occurrence, and they all failed. AARRGGHHHHH! So....I get the lovely opportunity to repeat what I did last night again tonight. Count me LESS than pleased.

Additionally, apparently I am not editing things properly for at least one author who I read regularly. He reviewed my German author's latest story, telling her to get a good beta reader who will separate the paragraphs more. I spent a fair amount of time joining the paragraphs into cohesive wholes because I firmly believe that many of the fan-fic stories that I read are too choppy. But, to each his/her own. My author was very unsure about how to respond to his review. I basically told her to respond any way that she wanted and that if she wanted things differently we certainly could change things for the next story, or if she preferred, she could find a different beta. It's really time that I don't have, but I generally enjoy the process. So, we'll see what happens.

But now, to work, and if there are elections in your area of the US - be sure to vote today, even if you think it might be a tremendous waste of time. Voting is a privilege, not a right!

No comments: