Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Busy Day Ahead

My kiln will be working overtime today - one way to heat the house, I suppose :-) I have several pieces of Metal Clay to fire for a customer, then I can start laying in my next layer(s) of enamel color and getting those fused in. I hope I'll have the chance to do more than one layer, but it takes 2 hours or so to lay in a single layer because the design is so complex and because I really need to think about my colors so that they turn out the way that I want. It's not as easy to strip a bad enamel job as it is to strip a bad paint job, so some basic thought is quite necessary. I have a feeling that it will be the layering on of color to get my mind's vision onto the silver that will be my quest in enameling for the next 40 years. What a fun thought!
Photo of some Gargoyles of Notre Dame Cathedral - the gargoyles are not original, but are relatively recent, added during a renovation a century or two ago.

I have museum envy. My dear friend Seth has been touring Europe with his latest job. He had some time free in London to go to the British Museum and in Paris he was able to get to the Louvre and Notre Dame (as well as the Eiffel Tower at night). I've been to London - absolutely loved it and bought WAY too many books at the museums out there. But I've never been to France or the continent at all. I want to go to the Louvre and I want to go to the Picasso Museum in Barcelona also. I wanna, I wanna, I wanna.... See??? Museum envy - LOL. One of these days I'll get there one way or another :-)
And just look at this image. When I first saw it, I thought it was some amazing fabric - folded and gleaming in the photographer's light. But it's actually the surface of Mars. Yup - Mars - that 4th planet from the Sun. This would make an amazing fabric so I saved the image. Down the line I may get the chance to do something with this and some careful dying on silk, or maybe with enamelwork. Hmmm, more possibilities. I love Studio Day!!!

No comments: