Saturday, August 22, 2009

Progression

It's been a week of two steps forward/one step back. Those kind of weeks are quite frustrating, but looking back at least there has been some accomplishment. But my time will start to be very constrained because my Assistant Manager is on vacation next week and I'll have to work a 6-day shift. It's a trade-off - I have a long weekend for the Labor Day weekend when my BFF comes into town to visit. But even if it is a trade-off, that doesn't mean that I have to like it - LOL.
The projects that I have going will have to be worked on in small amounts of time because of my schedule. The good thing is that Renaissance Faire begins today. The bad thing is that it is actually cool enough to wear my cape, but I am still working on it . I am working on it every night, and it is getting together. I am VERY happy with it. I should be able to finish the hem by the end of the weekend. I can serge on the bias tape tonite (if I could find my fabric shears, I would just sew the tape on and clip it to size, but I can't find them so I'll serge it instead). The problem with using the serger is where to set it up. My sewing machine has a permanent place, but my serger does not. I'll figure something out though. And once the hem is fully sewn in, then the cape is wearable, although I want the embroidery on it before I do that. I'll need to transfer the design to the corners, up the front edge and around the hood and start the work. I'm actually really looking forward to this. I made the cape reversible and the embroidery is only going on one side. I designed the cape so that I have access to the interior all the way to the top of the hood so that I can do the embroidery easily. After I am completely finished with the embroidery, I may stitch across the join of the cape and hood which would block the hood access off, but it would also keep things from shifting. Otherwise, I may just tack the shoulders to keep things together. There are several possibilities.
It is a lesson in thinking projects through before taking steps. If I had assembled the cape the way that the directions instructed me to do, I would not have access to the inside of the lining of the hood and I wouldn't be able to embroider the hood easily. It wouldn't have been the end of the world, but I really want this cape embroidered. I've really enjoyed making this though, and I think I'll make another one - lighter weight - for next year. They are easy to make and so fun - I've always had a soft spot for capes and have worn them for many years - the hippie in me I guess. Lesson for today - a little pre-planning can save much heartbreak. Think things through!

No comments: