Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Mark of Self-Worth

I spoke last week about a book I had purchased called "I Will Not Die an Unlived Life" by Dawna Markova. I'm about a quarter of the way through the book now, and I've been shedding a lot of tears over this one. Obviously there are parts that are striking chords within me. One of those chords I'd like to share today.
One quote says something that I've been telling people for many years. She says: "...the art of success is using what you're good at to overcome the challenges that life brings you. Everyone's good at something." These are words that I firmly believe in and that I see in personal interactions in every day. Every day I get people through my store door who are accompanying their friend, daughter, sister...the "crafty" or "talented" one. These companions always denegrate their own talents claiming that they have no talent. I don't buy that. I think they do have talent. Probably several talents. I've been complimented as being "talented" many times over the years. But I am a hopeless housekeeper, can't cook a meal more complicated than sauteed chicken with microwaved veggies, and am only a tolerable computer user. I wish I could throw together a myriad of ingredients and make a masterpiece of cullinary delight. That's a talent. I wish I could tell my computer to get rid of extraneous programs without destroying it. That's a talent. I wish I could put things into their appropriate placed and keep a clean and vibrant house. That's a talent.
Do you have a talent other than "artistic"? Can you step in when someone is ill or injured and calm the victim, thus aiding in healing? That's a talent I don't have. Can you listen with love and patience when an elder or child tries to express themselves or tell a tale? That's a talent that I don't have enough of. So the next time you look at someone's artwork, craftwork, etc and think that you could never do that...that they are so talented, turn that mirror onto yourself. Look at yourself. You have talents of your own that also enrich our world. If you concentrate on your talents and do only kind deeds, the world can't help but become a better place to live.

No comments: