Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Snow - Silence in a Hectic Season


Snow - I really dislike driving through it and having the 5-6 inches that we got yesterday and last night really makes me wish that I could stay home and work in my home studio for the day. Unfortunately, today is a day that I have to be at the shop. My day off is tomorrow, not today, and I have many errands to run tomorrow morning before I can get home and fire up the kiln. So, today I'll shovel (ick) and drive slower than usual on icy streets and through plowed intersections to get to the shop. At least tonight I get my usual Tuesday night dinner of Chinese take-out from Chin's Kitchen.


I remember when I first started going to Chin's. I moved up to Minnesota in 1979 and had a low paying job. I wanted to treat myself, so once a week I treated myself to a nice take-out dinner. Chinese is one of my favorite foods, so I went to a local take-out restaurant. My mother-in-law then asked me if I was going to Chin's. I wasn't - in fact, I didn't know about them at all. It turned out they were this little hole-in-the-wall place with two booths, a few chairs for waiting, and great food. I've now known Mimi and Paul for almost 30 years, have seen their daughter grow up, get married, and have children of her own, and have seen their son Ken grow up from a kid having problems with his homework to a kid who is graduating from high school next year and going to college in Illinois next fall. And throughout that time, I've been there once a week for take-out. I guess they must have good food - LOL.

No comments: