Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Admit It....I'm a Total Geek!!!




OK, those who know me well know that I'm a total JRR Tolkien geek!!! I first read the Lord of the Rings in 1968 and I have read the entire trilogy 1-2 times a year (average) since then. I have approx 8 full sets of the books, including illustrated hard copies, all of the maps and supplementary materials, every background book, the full unabridged audio books, etc. I am constantly checking the appendices - I probably know them better than the actual story narrative in some ways. And, even though I didn't agree with all of Peter Jackson's vision for LOTR, I am still thankful that he had the ability to actually put it on screen and I love it.

So, after errands (including looking around Michael's for an hour with a 40% off coupon and buying absolutely nothing) I went home, turned on the computer, and started researching cloaks. I want to make a cloak. I purchased some wonderful dark teal loose-weave wool last week, and some satin lining. I haven't decided if this cloak will be a warm-weather or cool-weather one yet, though, so the lining may end up in a different garment.

Anyway, I started searching for "Making a Cloak" tips, patterns, tricks, etc. I inventoried my fabric and patterns that I have purchased over the years and made a quick database of the patterns so that I don't duplicate when they have their next pattern sale. And I got totally pulled in to BTS (behind the scenes) and IP (in progress) photos of the shooting of the LOTR (Lord of the Rings) movies. You see....there's this wonderful cloak that Elrond wears when he brings Anduril to Aragorn at the camp of Theoden. I want a hood similar to that one, and finding a good picture of it is proving very elusive. But I spent the entire afternoon and most of the evening looking at pictures, patterns, analysis of outfits, etc. I got nothing physical accomplished (no jewelry made, no muslins sewn), but I did immerse myself again in the world of LOTR, and you know what? I'm pretty happy about it :-)))




No comments: