Friday, October 18, 2024

A Look Ahead at an Icky Schedule

It's a "Make Ogre Juice" and a "bake fruit for breakfast" day today. A pretty easy day in the kitchen, all told. But I'm already looking ahead to two weeks from now. Why? Well, that's the next time that DH and I will have to work a full six-day week (and perhaps even more). In a world of Tit for Tat, the pendulum has moved the opposite direction, and it's Chickie's turn for Jury Duty. Unfortunately, I remember my own tour of duty less than two years ago and truly, it was rather horrid. 




The chairs for the jury are actually rather horrid after 
the first hour or so. I found myself really hating them 
when I was called up for further questioning on the 
one jury I might have been chosen for. 



I didn't mind the going there, and after the first day, I learned to bring a power brick and lots of cords with me, and to grab one of the seats with plugs nearby. But, it's the boredom. The waiting to hear your name called, torn between wanting to be called, and hoping you're not called. Since you have no idea what type of case you'll be called for, or whether you'll make the cut, you also have no idea how long you might be tied up, sitting in horribly uncomfortable seating and trying your best to listen to testimony and instructions. 




The jury pool room was rather crowded, a bit 
cold, and they had snacks and coffee, but I 
don't eat sugar or gluten, so the snacks didn't 
work for me. I also don't drink caffeine, so 
the coffee was also useless. I brought my own 
teabags, but those ran out quickly and then 
I was stuck with plain water. Boring! 



Ick! 




I met a few nice people in the jury pool, but nobody I'd 
call a "friend", just people passing in the night - or in 
the hallways, as it were. 



I was both lucky and unlucky. I had to come back a second week, for two more days, which was a horrible inconvenience for Chickie and DH who had to work in my stead. I would have served, but I also emphasized that I was self-employed as one of a small staff in a retail store that was open six days a week, so that my staff had to be there when I was called away. I was NOT chosen for the jury on the case I was considered for, and that completed my service. I'll be over their age limit if they call me again, and can opt out because of that. 




The Ramsey County Courthouse building is stunning - 
very Art Deco both outside and indoors, with lots of 
marble, statuary, and touches of artwork and history 
throughout. It was built during the Great Depression 
years, so had some top-notch craftspeople working 
on it. It was almost worth being on jury duty to 
wander the halls of this building. 



Chickie is younger than I am (although in much poorer health). She might be able to opt out on health reasons, but it's going to be a rough five days in the jury pool for her. I hope she remembers to pack a lunch, the restaurants in the area are quite expensive. 




Jury Duty was one of the most boring weeks of my life, 
and we had snowstorms, and I was trying to get my meals 
made in the few off-hours I was able to grab. It was as 
close to a disaster as I could imagine. Horrid. 



But to get back to the topic on hand, I get one more week of regular scheduling before DH and I are stuck with each other's company again. I'm going to hope that Chickie will be called up for a case early, and will be released quickly. Maybe her luck will be better than mine was. She'll still have to be there for the full five days, but hopefully that will be all. 




I like to vote early when I can. I remember standing 
in long lines in falling snow for other elections, and 
I'm really not fond of doing that. DH probably will 
do that, but that's his choice. Mine will be to get 
early voting today or next week. 



On a different note, between all of the food prep I need to do today, I'd like to get my early vote in for the Presidential election. My local library has early voting opening today. I have a feeling the lines today will be rather extreme, so I might try to build this task into next Wednesday or next Friday. I'd rather vote early than stand in line in the frigid temps outdoors on election day. DH, I'm quite sure, will do the wait at the door thing - it's what he does. I'm a believer in comfort, and I'd rather avoid the November line if possible. So, on that note, I think I've rambled quite enough. Have an excellent Friday and I'll be back tomorrow to wrap up another week. Be kind, and Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: