Saturday, March 23, 2024

Ready For a Late Winter? It's Here!

Until just a few days ago, we had been experiencing a winter of no snow. It was astonishing and quite fun. The fun is now over, and early Spring is giving us what Winter refused to - snow, and a lot of it. Of course the worst part of Spring snow is the humidity factor - it's wet and heavy snow, not lightweight flakes floating down. Instead of drifting on the breeze, it's pelting the streets, cars and houses. 




Wet heavy snow is great for sledding, cross country skiing, and 
building snowmen. It's crappy for driving and clearing the snow 
from walkways and driveways. We're going to get a wet, heavy 
snowfall of up to fifteen inches starting around noon on 
Sunday and continuing through Monday. Ick! 



I went outside to shovel the driveway clear around 8:30 or so in the morning, and was a bit shocked. I had come in from the movies Thursday night, parked the car in the garage, and went to sleep. When I entered the garage in the morning to grab my shovel and take care of the snow, there were two four-foot long 1x6 boards lying across my car, just missing my windshield. Too weird! I know we have squirrels in the garage, but these would have been a bit heavy for squirrel power. All I can figure is that we might have a raccoon in the garage. That would be a large enough animal to push the wood off the beams. DH stores his extra smaller wood pieces up above, leaving the wall space for the sheet lumber. I'm grateful Minion is unharmed, but a bit concerned about possibly sharing my garage with a larger animal. 




The refrigerator door has five containers 
of my Ogre Juice for the next week. I rely 
on it to get nutrients I wouldn't get 
otherwise, and it's an easy lunch to have 
at the shop. Very green - LOL. 



But I got the car unlumbered and the driveway shoveled, and headed to the grocery store to get veggies for my week's Ogre Juice batch, and my salmon for dinner. Then I came home and cooked - a lot. As you can see in the photos. The upper photo is my week's ration of Ogre Juice. That usually will take me an hour from start to finish (initially, when starting WildFit, it would take 2-4 hours for this - a good blender and lots of experience sure helps cut that time down). 




Here, taking space in what had been empty 
shelves, are my cooked fruit, butternut 
squash, roasted carrots and in the white 
containers, eight individually packed stuffed 
"mini" peppers. I'll be eating good over this 
next week! The white, wrapped pack at the 
bottom is my fresh salmon for last night's 
dinner. Now all I need to do is reheat things, 
if needed, and add my salad. I'm set for the week 
ahead. 



The second photo, of "my side" of the refrigerator shows eight containers of roasted butternut squash, four containers of roasted mini carrots (so good!), eight containers of cooked pears and apples with cranberries and crushed nuts, and my package of salmon at the bottom, waiting for later in the day to be baked and broiled. The white containers holding stuffed peppers were cooked on Wednesday. 




We already got a couple of inches from the first bits 
of the storm, but we're going to get hit on Sunday with 
up to 15 inches in that 24 hour period. In the photo, we're
right where the 20"+ is located - LOL. Getting to work 
on Monday might be interesting, and I'll actually have 
to shovel out the store for the first time this year. Uck! 



We're supposed to get a LOT of snow starting on Sunday and continuing on into Monday. I'll need food for all of that shoveling. DH wants take-out for his Sunday, but I'll make a final decision on that based on the weather and the roads. I wouldn't mind a meal of Moo Shu pork from our local Chinese restaurant. We'll see what the weather brings - we might be getting our entire winter's snowfall in a single large storm. Have an excellent weekend and I'll be back on Monday. Be kind, enjoy life, Slava Ukraini and חיים למען ישראל.



No comments: