Monday, May 3, 2021

What a See-Saw Day!

Early yesterday morning we went to Home Depot. DH needed more dirt for the garden, and we wanted some tomato and strawberry plants. Next weekend we might go to Gertens, but we'll have to be there first thing when they open - the store is a zoo as the day progresses and I don't want to part in the far ends of forever just to get some plants. Last year, with COVID restrictions, we never made it out to Gertens at all, so if we actually get there this year, it'll be nice. There are some plants they have that I've never seen elsewhere in the Twin Cities area.  




Gertens is one of the few plant and landscaping services 
left in the Twin Cities area. When I first moved here in the 
late 1970's. there were three excellent centers near our 
house. The last of those closed more than three years ago, 
leaving us with no options but driving long distances 
to get to a decent nursery, or plant shopping at our local 
home improvement stores (not the greatest plant selections). 



After getting our plants and the dirt, DH got to work in the garden and I started working on my dinner in the kitchen. My goal was to have everything I wanted for dinner already cooked and prepped, so I wouldn't get in his way when he cooked his own dinner. He wanted Sloppy Joes for dinner, so I made a ground beef and sauce dinner for myself that was similar to his - not identical ... no "Manwich" sauce for mine - but similar and somewhat tasty. 




I totally admit that I really love Hunt's 
"Manwich" sloppy joe sauce. It's got 
the perfect taste and seasonings, and 
even smelling it was lovely. But I'm 
not ruining my body for the sake of 
a sloppy joe. I made and ate my own 
instead. 



I also made two types of cole slaw - a mayonnaise-based one and a sweet vinaigrette-based one. They're both good, but I'm not sure I'd repeat either recipe again. I'll eat what I have left, though, no problems doing that. 




My replacement sloppy joe sauce 
recipe called for using Coconut 
Aminos for sweetness without 
being a sugar. It's an acquired 
taste that I'm still not sure about 
although I've been using it in 
cooking now for several weeks. 
Still, it tasted OK in this recipe. 



We were getting along great for a change, DH and I. Until he said that he could hardly wait for my "program" to end so we could go get dinner at the Tavern Grill. Specifically, he said go "get a burger" at the Tavern Grill. My response was on the order of "that would be fantastic. I'm sure they have a deconstructed burger I could have." He shut down, turned to me and said "No, a burger, with the bun, and you're going to eat all of it, including the bun." I said no, although I would love the burger I would not eat the bun. The night disintegrated from there. He didn't say another word to me, and I spent an hour or so looking at houses on-line in case I decide I've had enough. Ir's rather amazing how fast things can hit the toilet in my house these days. *sigh*




I'm looking at possible touring and maybe even putting 
money down on this townhouse a few miles from where I 
currently live. It's got lots of space, plenty of room for 
my crafts as well as a guest room for visitors, and a great 
kitchen. I can afford it too. The property taxes aren't 
horrific, but I have no idea what the insurance would cost 
or whether it has a security alarm system or not. Things 
to research farther. I might take a walk-through on 
Wednesday. 



Have an excellent Monday. I plan on having the best day I can have, and continuing to meditate out my residual anger because it doesn't really help anyone and stress is bad for my health. I'll get there. I plan on being back tomorrow and hope all of you stay safe, are kind, and wear your mask. We're not out of the COVID woods yet, by any stretch. I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: