Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Lessons In Paperwork and a Return to the PPP Loan - Will Things Never be Completed?

What was the old adage for hair washing? "Rinse and repeat"? That's what we've been doing regarding our Payroll Protection Program loan from last April - yes, that's April of 2020! I had filled out the Loan Repayment paperwork and submitted it to my bank in late December. There are time deadlines in play here for getting paperwork in on time to avoid having to pay back this loan, and I didn't want to miss the deadline. But, late last week my banker came back to me with news that the form for the government had been amended on December 31st, and I had to fill out a new form and attach several supplementary documents. 




When running a small business, you get buried 
by paperwork all the time. We're pretty experienced, 
after more than 30 years at it, but when something 
is misplaced or simply overlooked, it can be 
catastrophic. I think we managed to dodge the 
bullet on this one and find everything we needed. 



Normally that wouldn't have been a problem. We're sticklers for paperwork, especially when it comes to the Federal government. But when I went into the files to pull the copies of the completed forms, I discovered we were missing one quarterly report from 2020 and I was NOT happy. There was no reason for missing the paperwork, we filed it on time, but for some reason I never printed out copies. Bad me! 




Sometimes it feels as if small businesses are the 
snowman the women are throwing snowballs at in 
this painting by Hans Dahl. But, we pick ourselves 
up, dust off the snow, and continue on trying our 
best in difficult times. 



So yesterday was filled with accusations and recriminations, resulting in my arriving home and scanning paperwork for the bank as well as chasing down duplicate copies of missing forms. The forms had, of course, all been filed electronically, we weren't missing that, but we wanted paper records for our files. It was a hectic 45 minutes while I got all of that together, but success! I sent the revised paperwork and supplementary information to the bank this morning. Now it's back in their hands once more. 




In between customers yesterday, I was watching "Special 
Techniques for Machine Knitting - Color & Texture" with 
Susan Guagliumi on my laptop. I always learn so much 
just watching her, and she's a great teacher. I'll be starting 
the sleeves for my sweater tomorrow during my 
afternoon knitting machine session, and trying to 
finish up my first sweater on Sunday. We'll see how 
my time goes, but I'm pretty happy with how things 
are going so far. 



I'm hoping today will be a bit less fraught with accusations and general grumpiness. I've been busy watching some Craftsy classes, thinking about whether or not I want to actually purchase them or not. They're a lot of fun, and while I'm a member I can watch them at no cost. They're not worth purchasing unless I want access after this first year. I doubt I'll renew my membership for the following year - it's expensive, and probably won't match the $9/year offer I got for this year, so if it's a class I'll want to keep referring to, purchasing might be the way to go. . 


On that note, I'm out of here. I'm cold, and I want my cup of hot tea and oatmeal. Have a glorious Tuesday and I'll be back tomorrow. As always, please be kind, stay safe and wear your mask. 




No comments: