Saturday, January 23, 2021

Construction and Reconstruction - The Definition of my Friday

One of the projects I had to complete yesterday was the reconstruction of a form that we had in pencil original, but not in typed final. It was a governmental form that we sent out during our shut-down period, and for some reason I had forgotten to print a second copy of the final form for our records. DH wanted a completed filled-out typed copy for us, so we've been working on that. I had hopes that I could fill it out as a PDF with Adobe, so signed up for a trial period with the software needed to achieve that. I was quite unhappy with the results and the effort needed to accomplish it. I'll be cancelling my subscription at the office today after I get the laptop up and running. 





Although I use Adobe Photoshop every day, I don't 
use other parts of their software unless I'm filling 
out someone else's forms. I don't have to own 
Acrobat on my own, but gave it a try for this 
single form we needed to have filled out. 
Unfortunately, it really didn't do what I needed. 
I'll be cancelling and uninstalling it today. 



Speaking of the laptop, apparently that Adobe software would only run on computers with certain software and my desktop versions were too old. So I ended up having to put the software onto the laptop - except the laptop is dying, remember? It took more than 10 tries to get it to power up yesterday. I guess I'd better step up my laptop search and get a new one ordered. It's always a pain to break in a new computer, but it's even worse to reconstruct one from a dead computer. I'm grabbing the bull by the horns and making a decision no later than the end of the month. 




My laptop is getting harder and harder to turn on in 
the mornings. I'm going to have to actually make 
a decision and buy a new laptop before my old 
one totally dies. I'm really not looking forward to 
a new system. It's always a lot of work to get used 
to the little quirks that every system has. Also, 
whatever I get will use Windows 10 - software I'm 
totally not used to. It'll be a learning curve when I 
don't have a lot of time to learn it. 



I have one more form to make for the bank, then I can send everything out to them. It's a lot of paperwork and I hope my banker doesn't hate me for it, but it's all important and totally necessary. I'm trying to lose myself in knitting when possible, though. It's keeping me centered during all of this crap. I grabbed an empty notebook and started keeping records of what I'm doing, how I'm changing patterns, and other note for the projects. I should have been doing this all along, but I'm glad I'm doing it now. It's mandatory when keeping track of things over a larger project. 




I have a handmade book that is almost all 
blank pages. I purchased it at Renaissance 
Festival in 2008. I'm using this for my 
knitting notebook. Friends who got my 
holiday cards might recognize the 
bookmark peeking from the top - LOL. 



Yesterday's goal was a sleeve, and I managed to get one sleeve knit. It got restarted a couple of times, but I was finally successful and the cables along the cuff look splendid. I was happy with my increases, although I had to pull back several rows of knitting several times when I messed up, but they look good and I think they'll work fine. I'll need to duplicate this sleeve for the other side, thus the notebook. I think I can - LOL. 


On that note, have a glorious weekend. We're slightly warmer (12F instead of 3F) and we're supposed to get anywhere from 3-6 inches of snow starting mid-afternoon. I'll be glad to get home from the shop late this afternoon and just veg out while the snow is falling. We'll shovel and deal with it tomorrow. I'll be back on Monday, have a fun weekend! 




No comments: