Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Thanksgiving - It's All About the Food

The grocery opens at 6:00 am today, and I'll probably be there shortly afterward. I don't need a lot, but I do have to get my weekly shopping done. Thanksgiving or not, Wednesday is my day for grocery shopping, and I don't want to waste forever standing in line for checkout. I can whiz through rather quickly getting my veggies, fruit and a little bit of frozen and be back outside as fast as possible. They usually only have two checkers on duty that early, so the line for checkout might take longer than my actually time shopping, but when it's done, it's done and I won't need to deal with it again. 




There's nothing like grocery shopping on the day before 
Thanksgiving. I wish I didn't have to, but I need my 
oranges and milk and other things I have to have for 
my weekly shop. So, off to the store I will go in 
1/2 hour. 



My pumpkin pie with whipped cream will be ready for pickup at 10:15 am, so I'll be down there waiting on time. Except for that, my life will do the usual revolve for Wednesdays - three loads of laundry, housework, and hopefully some serious knitting this afternoon. That's the goal, I'll have to see how well I do. 




Almost all of the Bakers Square restaurants have closed 
in my area, but there is one close to the old Ford plant 
in Highland Park that's still open. I have reserved a 
pumpkin pie for pickup at 10:15 am today. I love their 
pumpkin pies - so good! 



I set up an appointment with my eye doctor for mid-December. I'm concerned about how poorly I'm dealing with glint and flash. Since almost everything I do has some aspects of glint (even the knitting machine has glint off the hooks and latches of the needles), I'm concerned. I deal in a lot of detail and really don't want problems, although I'm getting older. I keep telling myself that I'm getting better, not just older, but I'm calling BS on that. I'm just getting older. 




Thanksgiving is our one opportunity to overeat with 
societal acceptance. The holidays that revolve around 
food are actually fairly rare. Think about it. Christmas 
revolves around trees, presents and church (for some), 
Easter has a bunny and candy (and church again, for 
some), and the Fourth of July is all about the big 
bang and sparklers. Only Thanksgiving is all about 
the food. 



Still, it's going to be lovely to have tomorrow off to commune with a large bird, lots of fixings, a pumpkin pie for me and a pecan pie that DH baked yesterday for him. Since I won't blog tomorrow, I want to wish all of my friends in the US (and of course in other nations as well) a wonderful Thanksgiving. Among the many blessings in my life are you ... my larger family of on-line friends. Be kind, stay safe, and please, wear your mask. I'll be back on Friday morning. 




No comments: