Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Rising From the Ashes and Food Temptations

You might remember that my pharmacy burned in the riots following the death of George Floyd earlier this year. For a month or two we had to use their secondary pharmacy, which was a bit farther out, on the eastern side of my suburb. It was more inconvenient, but not horrible. Then, they opened a satellite location at the other end of the block from their original pharmacy. I now go to that, and even though it's not as convenient as walking across the street, it has it's benefits. 




On a cold day, nothing is much better than a bowl of 
spicy soup. I'm very tempted to grab some take-out from 
Pho Pasteur on my way back from the pharmacy later 
today. I've been wanting to try their food for almost a 
year, and since I have to walk directly past their entrance 
now, I'm right there! Temptation, for sure. 



Primary among those benefits is the fact that I have to pass Pho Pasteur VN Restaurant every time I'm going to my new pharmacy location. Pho PasteurVN, a Vietnamese restaurant, has a nice menu, affordable food for take out, and I'm quite tempted to pick some up while I collect a prescription for DH today. But, even though I'll make sure I have cash, I'll probably skip it - too many calories, too much salt. I'm tempted every time I pick up a prescription, though,  and know I'll give in one of these days. 




Across the street is a long brick building. The northern 
part of the building houses Pho Pasteur, the far southern 
corner now houses the satellite location of Lloyd's 
Pharmacy. I have to walk by Pho every time I'm picking 
up a prescription, and it's so tempting to stop in and 
get a take-out option. They open early too - at 10:00 am. 



DH and I had a chat yesterday and he agreed to work an additional day a week so that I could have one more day off. I told him that starting in January, I want to take my normal Wednesday and add Fridays to my off days. He said he was fine with that and I'll keep reminding him. He'll probably want to take that day back when he's gardening in the warm months, but at least I'll have three to four months for that extra day and I really want/need it. Sanity is hard to find - LOL. 




If you recall, Lloyd's Pharmacy was looted and torched 
during the riots following the death of George Floyd. 
As it turned out, while we locked our door requiring our 
customers to knock for entry, the pharmacy was already 
locked and the employees were at their homes when 
a group broke into the building and began looting it. 
It was torched by a second group later that night and 
was a total loss. They'll rebuild on their original 
site in 2021. 



We'll see. I really want a day off that I can take for my own stuff - no laundry, household errands or "together" time needed. It's hard for me to do much in the 2-3 free hours I have available on my Wednesdays, there's a lot I have on my normal schedule. Having an extra day to do my own thing will help my sanity and my temperament. I'm totally in favor of this and hope it's going to work out. 




Tomorrow I plan to bring my ViRego Drumi home. It's 
a problem because it can't tolerate extreme cold or even 
near-freezing conditions, and right now we're at 
17 F degrees - most definitely below freezing. I'll 
probably wrap it with blankets. It's only going to 
have to be in the car for a half hour or so, so not 
the end of the world, and I'll give it plenty of time 
to warm up before testing it out and making sure 
it works properly. 



On that note, I'm heading up for breakfast and then on to the shop. I'm starting my holiday cards today since I got the last thing I needed in yesterday's mail. I'll put out my first call for cards later this week. Keep your eyes open for it. Have a wonderful Tuesday and please stay safe, be kind, and wear your mask. 





No comments: