Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Beauty in Chaos and Geometry - It's Play Time Today (Eventually)

It's my day off, and it's currently 6:20 am. I've already fast-walked 1-1/2 miles, showered and handled emails for all four accounts I monitor. I've also done a load of laundry (which is now in the dryer) and taken the trash bin and recycling bin to the curb for pickup. I'm staring at bills I need to pay today and listening to my phone tell me that a monthly charity donation has been taken from my bank account. Who knew life could be so complicated before the sun arises? And this is my "day off"! 




Fractals aren't just splashes of light, they occur in 
nature too. Here's a fractal in the unfurling fern. 



I'm looking forward to pulling my knitting machine out and starting again on the small sweater I'm trying to make as a beginner's project. I think I'll do much better at it after last week's effort. I have a much better idea of what I'm doing, and I already have the tension, stitches per inch and rows per inch determined for the yarn I'm using. I can just run through twenty rows of waste yarn, then coil a binding in the white wool I've chosen and start knitting. I'm hopeful I'll at least get the back finished before I have to shut down for the day, maybe even a bit more if I'm very lucky and don't make many errors. Errors are time eaters. 




Have you ever looked closely at the frost on your
windows? Frost is also a fractal. I guess Jack Frost 
is more talented with his paintbrush that you had 
originally thought. LOL



Of course I still have to do my errands. I need to get a few quick things at Target, then hit CUB (grocery store) for a couple of things that are only carried there, and then get to my usual grocery store for my weekly shop. That's the bigger one - I never can seem to come out of there without spending a bit more than $100 on the week's groceries. But, after the errands are complete, I'm putting everything away, pushing another load into the washer, and pulling out my knitting machine for some fun. I usually don't have sound, but might crank up the Spotify and grab my headphones just to have rhythm and tone to go with the swish of the carriage knitting row after row. Fun! That's what I'm after today - some fun! 




Fractals are geometry in a form you can see. Here is 
a beautifully realized fern leaf - just stunning in 
its form and geometry. And yes, it's a fractal. 



The day will end with my weekly chat with Aearwen, something I look forward to every week. What will we discuss? Beats me! But we never seem to run out of things to chat about, and always have that one hour come to an end all too soon. It's the mark of a good friend - you can chat, or be silent, and it's always good. 




Finally, here is a beautiful grouping of succulents, a 
perfect example of nature's embrace of fractal 
geometry. The simplicity is in its' complexity. A 
wheel within a wheel, within another wheel, within 
a never ending spiral. Stunning. 



On that note, I'm out of here. I think some fractals might be perfect for my illustrations today - beauty in geometry and organized chaos has always appealed to me, and that pretty much describes my life - LOL. Have a wonderful day, stay safe, be kind, and please wear your mask. I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: