Friday, October 9, 2020

On Wednesday I Cleaned Sewing Cabinet #3 - Photos and Progress Made

DH and I spent a lovely and relaxed evening watching an old episode of "Vera" and eating iced cream, or in my case, Halo. After the episode ended satisfactorily, I actually got a great night's sleep which has been rare lately, so I'm starting things out today on a really great note. 



After I moved things away from the cabinet doors and 
could open them successfully, I started clearing down the 
piles of fabric that were more than three feet high. This 
photo is already cleared down quite a bit. You can see 
lace hanging on the left from a stupid structure that's 
always gotten in my way. I removed it later and reclaimed 
the left corner. The Inkle Loom is on the floor. 


Everything I had removed before taking 
the photo above is stretched out here, on 
the floor. Piles of wool in black and dark 
green, muslin, interfacing, and bags of 
ribbons, and ribbons, and ribbons. 



I've been taking spare moments at the shop to watch YouTube and Craftsy videos of my knitting machine, determined to get it conquered and make wonderful things. I have two large bags of coned yarn I picked up from the Weaver's Guild in prior years. I was going to use them on my rigid heddle loom, but I actually think they're also perfect for my knitting machine. I found them while cleaning Sewing Closed #3, and I was actually delighted with the find. It's all in colors I adore and it's going to make some really cute hats. I think hats will be a good initial project, not as time consuming as a sweater (although there's beginning pattern for a baby sweater that I might make for my Cousin Missy's daughter's first child born in May). I need short projects until I'm sure I can hold my own with the machine. 



Just one small example of the various 
cottons I have. I was sewing and wearing 
Navajo-styled three-tired skirts for years, and 
made them from these fabrics. I've also never 
met a "going out of business" sale at a fabric 
store I haven't fallen in love with. *sigh*



I spent six hours on Wednesday continuing the cleaning process for Sewing Closet #3. I had started it the week prior, but really had only gotten the crap piled in front of the closet cleaned up, barely opening the closet itself. Actually, to be truthful, I opened the closet, realized that it needed serious work itself, and closed the doors again. 



By the time I called it done for the day, the cabinet 
looked like this and the next photo. My serger now 
sits on top of the built-in drawers, sewing books are 
at the very back, and my keyboard, which had been 
buried, is at the far right. I'm not finished yet, though. 



But, on Wednesday I continued. I have at least one more Wednesday to spend on it next week, but it's coming along quite nicely and I'm happy with my progress. I have come to the realistic conclusion that I own TOO MUCH FABRIC. I used to sew a lot of my own clothes. I almost always had a sewing machine with me, and if I didn't, I hand sewed (which I'm NOT fond of). I sewed dresses, skirts, and shirts. I sewed the headboard covering for our waterbed and curtains for the bedroom. I sewed a lot, and loved it. I fell out of the habit when I had enough money to actually buy clothes instead of make them. But there were always things I had to make - they weren't available to purchase. 



The shelving is completely filled with fabrics, 
mostly cotton/poly, but some excellent silks and some 
outstanding woolens too. I need to sell down at least 
50% of my fabric stash before I'll be comfortable. 
I have at least one more day of serious cleaning to do 
on my sewing cabinets, but then I'll be finished 
with the cleaning and ready to start working with my 
materials, fleece and yarn. Baby steps and intense 
Wednesdays are the story of my life - LOL. 



I have cotton and cotton poly mixed print fabrics in the hundreds of yards. I think it's time to start looking at setting up an Etsy store to sell down my stash. I could live 100 years, sewing every day, and not make much of a dent. I think I need to photograph, post and sell some of it. I think "Sandi's Stash" might be a good name for an Etsy store, don't you? 


On that note, and with the photos loaded, I'm out of here. Have an excellent day and please, be kind, stay safe, and wear your mask. I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: