Thursday, October 22, 2020

Monster Cakes and FaceBook "Friends" - You Never Know Who Your Friends Truly Are

Sometimes you just have to go for something fun, and that's what DH did when he was out shopping for groceries earlier in the week. He was looking for his favorite - white cake with white frosting - and came across this "Monster Cake" instead. He couldn't resist, so bought it and we'll share it over four days so we don't overdose on sugar (more likely for me than for him, he's a sugar addict). Still, it was such a fun monster and I just had to share. 




The Monster Cake is so funny, it's a shame to have 
to cut it into pieces. The eyes are Oreo cookies with 
white and black buttercream frosting. The cake 
itself is marble and quite yummy. 



We had our first pieces last night and it was excellent - pretty sweet, but I don't mind that on rare occasions. It's the season of sweet, after all. We've got All Hallows Eve coming up soon, and somehow bags of mixed mini candy bars seem to have made it into the house. Since I didn't buy them, I know who to blame - LOL. With rationing, they should take us through the end of the year, maybe even into 2021. 




From overhead, he doesn't look quite as 
scary - LOL. Every time DH and I looked at 
the cake in the refrigerator, we'd start 
laughing. It's a good monster who brings 
such joy and we're enjoying eating this one. 



With all of the tales of destroyed ballot collection boxes and burned ballots, it's turning int an election that will be fought through the courts after the final counts are in. I know my ballot was collected by someone qualified to collect it, and it's been opened and scanned. The actual tabulated votes from absentee ballots won't be downloaded until Election Day in my state, and I think we have several days afterward when absentee ballots can be still be counted into the final totals if they are postmarked no later than November 3rd. But, I'm very grateful I'm already out of this game. 




If you prefer to vote in person on November 3rd, you
might want to take the added precaution of having
a mail-in ballot available in case your lines are too
long. You can have it filled out and turn it into
the polling location on election day, just as if
you filled out your ballot in person in the little booth
and fed it into the machine. If you end up voting 
in person, you can just shred your mail-in ballot at home. 


I had to block an old acquaintance on FaceBook on Tuesday and it hurt my heart to have to do it. She's a Trump supporter, and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own political viewpoints. But when a person on her page pointed out that Biden's tax increase won't hit until people are making at least $165,000/year, she shot that person down, calling her a sheep who just follows dogma blindly. I thought that was way out of line and pointed out that everyone has a right to their own political opinions, which I guess didn't hit her well because the next post I got from her was her narrative story about how she would unfriend anyone who basically disagreed with her. I decided to block her instead - I'll think about unfriending her at a later time, but at least I don't have to read her vitriolic hatred any more. What a shame. She's a bright, talented and creative person and I adored her mother. Oh well, that's life. 




I hate unfriending anyone, although I have done so in 
rare cases. I blocked my friend rather than unfriending 
her. I will consider reactivating her after the election 
is over, or I'll delete her entirely from my feed. I don't 
have to decide immediately. 



On that note, I'm going to have some hot tea and oatmeal because I'm cold today. It's above freezing, so I shouldn't be so shivery. I wish I could curl up in a blanket for some more sleep, but that's time I really don't have. Enjoy your day, be kind, stay safe and please wear your mask. I'll be back tomorrow. 



No comments: