Tuesday, October 20, 2020

I Gave In - Winter Is Coming

I gave in. With yesterday's temps in the upper 20's, I gave in. I put my leather bomber jacket into the coat closet and grabbed my purple parka instead. I put my Aussie hat aside and took my multi-colored dark purple knit hat, and I even wore gloves - not the ones for super cold, but gloves nonetheless. Today I'll have to remember to put brushes, scrapers and my snow shovel into the back seat of my car since we might have accumulations of snow today. It's time to get into winter mode and I'm really NOT ready. 




Yesterday we had light snow falling on and off all 
day, but it didn't stick to anything. Today, even though 
we're a little warmer, we're expected to have up to 
three inches of snow, so it probably will stick to the 
trees and the pavement. I'll probably have to brush 
off my car before leaving work tonight. 



It was snowing on and off yesterday, but too warm for it to stick to the ground. I didn't have to brush off the car or shovel the store's walkway, but we've had our warning shot across the bow. Winter is coming, and nothing will stop the advance. I'll be dressing in layers, wearing taller socks instead of very short ones, and sweaters will become my friend once again. DH is starting to wear his cardigans again, and he actually turned the thermostat in the shop up, since we weren't getting much above 66 degrees even though the furnace was valiantly attempting to heat the main room. 




I actually love snow in the trees and in the 
woods, it's just driving through it and clearing 
it off the driveway that I'm not fond of. 
DH is excellent about keeping our driveway 
cleared, and we have a good snow blower, 
so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll have to 
remind him to put the patio umbrella 
into the shed, though. 



I don't hate winter - I live in the Frozen Northlands. Winter is a steady and constant reminder of what we experience several months every year. But some years winter holds off until Christmas, other years it holds off at least until Thanksgiving. We rarely have appreciable snow before the end of November. This year might be different, and we may very well have snow on the ground by Halloween. It's always a question, but it's also always a possibility. All I know is ICK! I'm really hoping the weather forecast is wrong and we won't have snow that actually sticks to the streets and sidewalks today, but Winter is fickle and she'll do what she wants. 




There's something magical about snow falling through 
the trees. The snow dampens sound, and the world seems 
as if it is holding its breath, waiting for an unknown 
Goddess to walk through the newly covered glades. 



So I'm bundled up, I might even put a hoodie over the turtleneck and light sweater that I'm wearing today. I'm still a bit cold, so a hoodie would be pleasant, and probably a good decision. The key is keeping warm. If I stay warm,  then I'll also stay healthy - and healthy, in this year of COVID, seems like a wise goal. Everyone reading, please be kind, stay well and wear your mask. I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: