Thursday, September 17, 2020

Le Tour and Photo Blog of Yesterday's Sewing Cabinet Cleanup

Today is the second day in the Alps, and the most mountainous of the entire Tour. Yesterday was stunning and wonderful, a summit ending after a steep-steep climb that cracked most of the riders. Today's stage will be pushing the riders once again to their limits, as we head towards Sunday in Paris. Here's the profile for today's stage. 




As you can tell, it's a lot of climbing and some 
wonderful descents on today's route. The finish 
won't be as gnarly as yesterday's was - it's a 
downhill finish today - but there's no rest for the 
riders and there might be several who will 
miss the time cutoff after today's stage. 


Yesterday, my weekly "day off" turned into a massive effort focused on finishing the clean-up of my fiber/sewing cabinet. The store had contacted me, and after four weeks, my sewing machine was fixed and ready for pick-up. I had to finish cleaning my sewing cabinet so I had a clean space ready for my machine's homecoming. I had already cleaned out shelves 2 and 3, the storage cabinet next door, and most of the floor. The dreaded shelf #1 - catch-all for everything small, remained. 

I'm making the rest of the blog a photo blog. I started cleaning around 9:00 am, left to get groceries and pick up my sewing machine at 10:30 am (less than $100 for the repair - SCORE!), had a quick lunch at 11:30 and worked solidly until I phoned Aearwen at 4:00 pm. After our call, I fixed dinner, then returned to work on the cabinet for another hour before DH got home from work. Finally, it's 98% done. There are still a few things I want to re-arrange, but I'm generally pretty happy with the results of many hours of hard work. 





After about an hour in, a lot of the shelf had been cleared, 
but I still had the hanging baskets to tackle, and the 
entire right side. At least I can see the table top where 
I put my sewing machine. 




Where was the stuff I pulled off from the top shelf? 
Well, it was starting to get stacked and semi-organized 
on the floor behind me. I was developing quite the 
collection of thread spools, needles, buttons and a 
variety of sewing aids. 





After I returned with my fixed sewing 
machine, I continued pulling things out of 
the cabinet. I needed to wash the shelf, and 
also needed to vacuum the entire floor, so 
everything had to get pulled out of the floor 
level including the "Big Bag of Fleece" I 
had made on one of the first cleaning days. 






Looking back at the cabinet, most of the right 
side has now been cleared and only the bags 
on the left need to be removed. Almost 
ready for a good vacuum. I also pulled 
the cloth from the top of my antique 
pedal Singer machine. I love the machine 
and it still works. I might as well celebrate 
it a bit (and wash the covering). 





Now everything was vacuumed and cleaned up, it was time 
to organize things and put things back in an
ORGANIZED fashion. That's what I've started to 
do here, with my sewing machine back on top, pin 
cushions on the right and fleece on the left. 






Take a look at these weapons. These are the 4-pitch English 
wool combs I just purchased. They are now on the shelf in 
their protective boxes. Thieves beware! I have
combs! LOL  You can see some buttons below on 
the top of my sewing machine shell, and some spinning 
tools in the below-shelf holder to the right. 





I'm almost finished here. The first shelf now 
has things boxed up, not scattered here and 
there. The wool combs have a home and 
my spinning wheel bobbins are organized 
by which wheel they belong to. My 
machine is back in its' home. It's not 
perfect, but it's functional once again. 






I had a bunch of long things that I needed to 
collect together into one container that 
would fit into a narrow space. There are 
things like heddles and sheds for my weaving, 
as well as the parts of my rigid heddle loom. 
I ended up cobbling together a small box to 
hold most of them. The very tallest of the 
items ended up in the storage cabinet next 
to the sewing cabinet. 





One of the things that really sold me on this house was 
the sewing area, closed behind doors and almost 
invisible. This is how everything looks after the mess of 
earlier in the day. I now have these two cabinets done. 
I have the double-door cabinet to the left still to deal 
with, but I'm saving that for another day (or month). 



If you've come this far, then good on you! I'm delighted with my progress, put almost 13,000 steps onto my health watch with all of this work, and my body is complaining that it's not used to so much work (probably true). It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy, and it's functional now - something it hasn't been for a long time. Have a great Thursday, spread love and kindness, and do a bit of cleaning. It's never our favorite task, but the feelings of accomplishment are major. I'll be back tomorrow for the final day in the Alps on Le Tour de France. 





No comments: