Saturday, July 11, 2020

A Solid Structure Needs a Good Foundation

DH needs some specialty concrete blocks for the wood shed (which is turning into a major project with lots of roadblocks). After going to Menards yesterday, he was frustrated, having found two of twelve packages of bolts that he needed, and getting nowhere with the concrete blocks. Of course, he can't hear, and customer assistance wasn't very "assistive". He came grumping into the shop after his outing and said "We'll order them on-line tonight, but I won't have them for weeks!" 



These are pretty specialized concrete blocks, but they
look like they'll be able to hold the wood quite
effectively. The wood shed will be carrying quite
a lot of weight, and it'll be outdoors in the heat of
summer and the snows/cold of winter. Sturdy is
essential. 



My question to him was "Wouldn't you rather we ordered them right now? We can do that. My laptop is right here." So, after a few more huffs and puffs, we pulled up the website, found the concrete blocks, and ordered a dozen of them. Apparently that's what will be needed for stability of the uprights. Fine with me. I'll mail the on-line rebate today - it wasn't worth mentioning one more task to him. The blocks are rather interesting, though, even though they won't arrive until July 31st. 

He also needed more of the specialized bolts, so I sent him off to the Maplewood store which said it had a dozen packages available. As it turned out, they only had eight, but it gets him closer to the quantity he needed. *sigh* baby steps ... baby steps ... LOL. 



Although we do get a lot of things at Home Depot, we prefer
to shop at Menards when possible. It's equal distance from
the house, but on comparable items, their pricing is usually
a little better. The negative is we can't use American
Express there, but we manage - LOL. 



After that catastrophe was averted, and he had gone on his grumpy way, Chickie and I settled back down to the final steps in getting our latest order checked in. We accomplished that by mid-afternoon and we're all caught up now with lots of restocked colors for our customers. 

I remember talking about the money I pulled for the three guys who protected our block. Kathy, the coffeeshop owner, came by with three cards yesterday, which I signed after I handed her my cash. Good thing I remembered to grab money yesterday morning - LOL - although I could have borrowed the cash from the shop if needed. But, all is good, and yesterday turned out to be a pretty good day, even if it started on rocky ground. 

I'm calling today's post finished and getting on with my day. I hope your day is filled with happiness and ask that you spread some joy where you go during the weekend. I'll be back on Monday. 




No comments: