Saturday, May 23, 2020

Settling Into a New Normal - Cancellations and Rescheduling

Sleep seems to be eluding me. Part of it is sleeping with the walking cast - clunky, heavy and the Velcro strapping in one area likes to grab onto the sheets and covering quilt I use, but part of it is that I'm working again and when I'm working my body says 5-6 hours is enough sleep. So even though I've had my alarm set for 6:00 am, I'm up and wide awake at 4:00 am. At least I've got plenty of time for my morning shower. It takes a lot longer with crutches and the extra time it requires to get in and out of my cast and assorted clothing. Just looking at the positives, here. 



We offer a squirt of hand sanitizer to everyone who comes into
the shop. If they prefer, they can wear gloves. Lots of people
accept the sanitizer squirt happily, but I can't use sanitizer because
of cuts and abrasions on my hands, so I'm stuck with washing
my hands a lot and using gloves when needed. 



As we begin the final day of our first week back after quarantine, it's been good. We've got a new system going - LOTS of sanitizing, portable plexiglass screens so that we can work with our customers face-to-face without difficulty, and new procedures for payments that allow as much true contactless transactions as we possibly can manage. The selection bowls and pens are sanitized after every use, the door pulls - interior and exterior - are sanitized after every customer. Each item a person touches - counter top or bead sample - is cleaned before the next person. We haven't had more than four people in the store at any time (six is our maximum) and we have only had to remind a single person that masks are mandatory. It's working. We're getting used to a new normal. 



The Fair has already changed the sign to the dates
August 26 thru Labor Day, September 6, 2021. I'm
really going to miss my State Fair. It's one of my
happy places and marks the end of my summer and
beginning of autumn. 



The big news from yesterday was the cancellation of this year's Minnesota State Fair. The Fair, which has been going on annually since 1859, has rarely been cancelled - 1861 & '62 for the Civil War, 1893 because of scheduling conflicts with the World's Columbian Exhibition in Chicago, 1945 because of war time travel restrictions, 1946 because of a Polio epidemic, and now, in 2020 because of a Covid-19 epidemic. The signs outside the Fairgrounds have already been changed to 2021 dates. 



The Minnesota Renaissance Festival is still saying they will be
holding their 50th Anniversary Fest as usual, but I just don't
see that actually happening. Sure the grounds are vast and it's
not a super crowded venue, but the shows are packed as are
the food areas. I suspect they'll have to cancel. 



That leaves Renaissance Festival as the only summer Fest still pending, and Bead & Button Show which was moved to late August, but which, I suspect, might end up being cancelled completely. I'm still planning to attend both of these events, but DH is reluctant to have me travel to Milwaukee for the bead show. I have until late July to make up my mind totally and still get refunds, so I'll see how things go. 



Bead & Button Show is having their 20th "official" anniversary
this year, although I started attending it before they went
under that name for six years prior to their official start.
Although they've rescheduled, I'm not 100% sure it's going
to be possible. The show itself, however, really isn't crowded
and I don't think Social Distancing will be an issue
most of the time. All three of my classes are still
being held, so at this time I'm still planning on
attending. 



Renaissance Festival may not be as difficult. It's an outdoor setting, there's really a lot of space available. The main problem is the various cluster areas - the food courts, some of the entertainment stages, and the various beer and wine pubs. People do cluster in there - especially in the Vikings bar, the only bar on-site allowed to have a TV for Sunday Minnesota Vikings football games. Of course, football also may not be happening in the fall, so I'm looking too far ahead. 

What a world we're living in! As always, be safe and be happy. Since Monday is a holiday here, I'll be back on Tuesday. Have a great long weekend. 




No comments: