Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A New Toy aka A New Piece of Electronics to Play With

It's Wednesday, my "day off" and my first load of laundry is already working through the wash cycle. I start my day off with a bang - meeting with my Physical Therapist for what may be my final time, at least until I manage to screw something else up with my body. I'm going to hope that's a long time in the future. I'm going to make Joseph work hard today, though. I need him to go through the exercises I've accumulated and they need to be fine-tuned and condensed so that I can actually manage them within my alloted time span at the gym on the three days a week I'm working the floor. I plan on being in the pool for the other two days. 



I'm not fond of running, in fact, with my osteoporosis, I'm only supposed
to do a fast walk, no serious impact stuff like running would be. So I
walk really fast around the track, but that's BORING. I have my tempo
tracker to keep me on step, and I listen to books, but it's still really boring
to get my two miles on the track into my schedule. 



I got a new exercise/heart monitor delivered yesterday. The one I've been wearing for the past few months was great for non-water exercises, and it was water tolerant, so no problems with the shower or even if I forgot to take it off when I started my swim. However, it didn't track my swimming, and I needed one that would do that. So I did what I usually do - started researching on-line. 



I wanted an exercise band that would also work for my swimming. After
reading a lot of reviews, I decided on the Honor Band 5. It's
affordable and after I get used to how to put it into various modes,
I think it will be a good choice. If not, I'll return it. I'm giving
myself two weeks to get used to it before making up my mind. 



The Honor Band 5 tracks a lot more sports types. The most important thing I purchased it for, however, was the fact that it will track my swimming laps in freestyle, breast stroke, back stroke and butterfly (although I don't swim the fly). Right now, in the pool, I'm a lot slower and I'm not managing more than a single lap in any single stroke before switching to a different stroke. This is allowing me to avoid straining my shoulder, but it's also making it impossible for me to track laps easily. I've been swimming via time spent in the pool. I need to do better than that. 



Wrist-work fitness monitors are very common these days. They're
inexpensive (at least most of them are) and they do a great job
of giving us feedback on how active we are and how well we
are sleeping. I've been wearing a fitness band on my wrist for
several months now and I love them. 



I had a credit at Amazon from a defective product I had returned, so my fitness band ended up costing me less than $20. For that money, I'm willing to experiment. These fancy things always take a while to get me trained - how best to use them, how to switch from one mode to another, etc. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it's working out. Worst comes to worst, I'll go back to my previous band which worked just fine for everything except the pool. 

So, that's the excitement in my life right now. But it's my "day off" and truly, anything can happen - LOL. I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday and I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: