Friday, October 18, 2019

Broncos Suck and Yahoo Groups Exploration

Well. Last night's football game - a divisional rivalry, nationally televised - really disappointing, Denver. Really disappointing! Everything that could go wrong did, plays didn't work, our joke of a quarterback couldn't throw, our catchers couldn't catch, our kickers couldn't kick, and our defense was as full of holes as Swiss cheese. Pathetic! I'm still a fan (Broncos Fangirl forever!), but games like last night's stretch my fandom to the limit. Hopefully the Vikings will do better on Sunday. It helps to have two different teams to support ... sometimes. 



Last night's game was highly disappointing. Ugh! 



I'm almost finished with the first stage in this year's holiday cards. I'm printing out the addresses that you've sent to me and I'm totally stoked. There are a lot of phases, but phase one should be complete this morning, and stage two started. I'm trying to get an hour at minimum into my cards every day. So far it's working well, but realistically I'm looking at a month before I want these in the mail, approx six weeks before I'll be under "Must mail them now" constraints. It'll work, it always does, but sometimes it can get a little dicey. Since I started late this year, I have to keep a really close eye on my time. 



I took time yesterday to make sure I wouldn't lose anything when
Yahoo Groups disappears. I had quite the long list of groups I
belonged to, from costume construction and art techniques
to writing, enamel and metal clay. They used to be active and
vibrant, but they've almost all moved to other media hosts by now. 



I spent some time and went through my various Yahoo Groups yesterday. Few of them had been active, but I did post in the ones I "moderated" to let people know what would be going on. I also went through the photos sections of each and pulled out my photos, unless I already had them stored on my computer. Now Yahoo Groups can go ahead and dissolve. BUT, one thing that was on there were the MEFA files and stories. If's going to be a shame to lose these stories if they aren't already moved to a different location. 



I only participated in a couple of years of Middle Earth Fanfiction Award
nominations before it was discontinued. The stories are archived
on a separate website, so the many writings aren't lost, just moved. 



So, a heads-up to my fellow LOTR authors who may have entered fiction into the MEFAs over the years. The files which are hosted on Yahoo Groups and will probably disappear, although they have been archived with a different host. If you don't have your stories also in other locations (unlikely, but things can happen), pull them off now. The deadline has been extended from October 21st to October 28th, but that's still not a lot of time. 

On that note, time to head out to the gym. Have an excellent Friday and I'l be back tomorrow. 



No comments: