Thursday, September 12, 2019

So Life (and Storms) Continue - It's A Good Thing

I managed to sort through three boxes yesterday and repack so that one can survive winter temperatures and possible freezing, one must be indoors at my kiln, and the third is all stone which needs to be identified, have the cost recorded, and be filed into my system. I guess I fell behind in this process a few years ago. *sigh* It's going to take me a LONG time to get this nailed, but I'm going to feel much better once I have. 



I have a Paragon SC2 kiln for my varied arts requiring the use
of a kiln. I use it for enameling, glass fusing and all of my
metal clay work. It's a workhorse and I love it. I have small
regrets while enameling because I didn't buy it with a windowed
door, but that's a minor inconvenience. 



Five minutes ago another visit by the Gods of Thunder crackled and boomed at my window. Another one just hit now. There are lightning strikes within three miles of my house (according to my weather app on my phone), so there's a storm pulling through. According to the app, it's going to be a wet day again today, with rain ranging from 100% to 50% and back to 100% throughout the day. My umbrella will be in use today and my shoes will get wet as I walk into the shop from my parking space. 



I have a Tiffany stained glass umbrella similar to this one
that I purchased at the art museum in Omaha, Nebraska
several years ago. I adore it - it's large, it looks fantastic,
and it collapses into a size that easily fits in my car's
glove box. (Mine doesn't have the pointed top or the
hooked bottom.) 



One of the things DH had requested was my moving my small wood stack away from a drawer unit. I successfully put the shorter (less than three feet) pieces onto a cabinet shelf, but the taller pieces just didn't have a home. DH says he might put them at the very top of our new storage unit. That's fine, but I'll have to put a label onto it or I'll forget that it's there. Since I use the wood as dividing panels in my box art (I re-purpose boxes and enhance them for their new uses), I'll probably need those lengths of wood at some point and will go looking for them, not remembering that they are near the ceiling. A label will be necessary. 



I used to have a P-Touch 1010 label
maker. Since that one died, I ordered a
P-Touch PTH110 as a replacement.
I guess there are now phone apps for
this as well, maybe for my next one.
For now, this will do fine and is priced right. 



For years I had a P-Touch label system - loved it and used it. When I pulled it out of its' drawer a few days ago there was no power. Replacing the batteries seemed to not work, even though the batteries were new, and attaching a transformer to allow it to run electrically also failed. I tossed it and ordered a newer model which, since I had a Discover credit I could use, ended up free! Of course, I also needed some label tape, but in the end, a $50+ product cost me less than $20. I can live with that. It'll be delivered in a week (free shipping option). 



I used to sit on the front porch of my old house and watch the
lightning. My father-in-law would call and we would chat as
we watched "together". I respect the destructiveness of lightning,
though. A friend lost her house to a lightning strike less than five
years ago. 



So I'm going to let the Thunder Gods continue their conversation as they roll over the Cities. I'm going to wrap this up, find photos to add, and call it a wet morning as I brave the elements to get to the gym. Have a wonderful and amazing Thursday and I'll be back tomorrow - a little soggy but ready to continue this journey of life. 



No comments: