Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Planning a Trip to NYC? You Might Want to Catch This Exhibit

Are you planning a trip soon? If you're a Tolkien fan, you might want to consider going to New York. Beginning on January 25th, and continuing through May 12, 2019, a special exhibit "Tolkien:  Maker of Middle-Earth" will be exhibited at New York's Morgan Library and Museum. They herald it as "the most extensive public display of original Tolkien material for several generations," drawing from "the collections of the Tolkien Archive at the Bodleian Library (Oxford), Marquette University Libraries (Milwaukee), the Morgan and private lenders." 



The original dust jacket of "The Hobbit" featured an original
illustration. The article used this as their header. I can't
guarantee it will be in the exhibit, but it's probably a good bet. 



It sounds magnificent. It will include "family photographs and memorabilia, Tolkien's original illustrations, maps, draft manuscripts, and designs related to The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion." There will also be "original illustrations of Smaug the dragon (from The Hobbit), Sauron's Dark Tower of Barad-dur (described in The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion), and other recognizable characters," as well as that of Tolkien's draft manuscripts that "provide a window into his creative process, as well as the vivid, expansive worlds he created." (Previous two paragraphs cited from a larger article at www.openculture.com from January 7th, 2019.) 



This image of Smaug from "The Hobbit" was an original
illustration by Tolkien. Since it was also featured in
the article, it might also be in the exhibit. 



I'm sending a huge THANK YOU out to my friend Seth who sent the article to me as something he thought would interest me. I'm putting the information here, because even though I won't be able to go, I'm quite sure a lot of my friends and readers on the East Coast might be able to make a day trip or a weekend trip up to NYC and want to see the exhibit. It would be a wonderful excuse to visit one of the more exciting cities of the world. 



This original illustration of Smaug flying outside of The Lonely Mountain
might also be in the exhibit. It's a lovely and detailed illustration for
what was intended to be a children's book. 



On that note, I'm going to shut this down for the day. It's a Wednesday, I have a shopping list a mile long (well ... that's probably an exaggeration, but if I count each blueberry individually, it might get longer - LOL), and errands that will take me all over the city. Thank goodness the weather is OK even though it's darned cold outside. Have a great Wednesday. And Aearwen - enjoy your visit with Lee. We'll chat next week and you can tell me all about his visit. Hugs to all, I'll be back on Thursday. 



No comments: