Saturday, January 12, 2019

Paper Art to Wow You!

Yesterday's post talked about resolutions, and I have to admit I don't make New Year's resolutions either, but that doesn't mean I don't make them at all. I do resolve to do things - to change a habit or pattern of behavior, to add something or subtract something from my life, or just to try and be a little more upbeat or to pick up my colored pens more often. I don't tie my resolutions to a date or time, though. Resolutions don't have to be tied to a calendar, nor do they have to be big things - little things count too. On that note, I have some spectacular artwork to share with you today. 



The newest Starbucks Reserve location in Manila, Philippines,
contracted with Patrick Cabral for his amazing paperwork for
the wall decorations. Take a closer look at these amazing animals
below. 



Patrick Cabral, a Philippine artist of exceptional talent, turns paper into extraordinary sculptures. You can see his work on his website (www.patrickcabral.com) and follow him on Instagram and other social media websites as well. He was recently commissioned by Starbucks Reserve Manila to provide wall art for their newest location and came up with the three animals I'm highlighting for you to view today. 



I totally adore this tiger. The golden eyes and that pink nose
really bring out the depth and intricacy of the sculpture.
Paper is a remarkable media, it can be given amazing strength
and resiliency, yet be torn or cut by a child. These look
pretty sturdy, compared to earlier works of his. 



I got introduced to his art in 2017, when Colossal, a website on art and design, featured his papercraft in an extensive article. At that time his work was focused on endangered species and half of the proceeds from each sculpture was donated to the World Wildlife Foundation Philippines. I'm fairly sure that's where Starbucks first saw his work, and the three pieces he designed for their new location are stunning. 



The elephant has gold accents running
down that glorious trunk. This is an
animal of strength and distinction, a truly
royal animal. 



Here he puts white and black paper together in 3-D sculptures with small additions of color - gold for the Quetzal and Elephant, pink for the nose of the Tiger. The sculptures are so detailed, and so deep, they practically jump off the wall. 



The gold here is in the tail of the Quetzal. He
called it a quetzal, although I first had titled it
a phoenix. I'm still divided on the species, but
totally adore the image. Such talent! 



Since today is a Saturday, I thought I'd leave all of you with something beautiful to tide you over through the weekend. I hope you enjoy what I chose for you. Have a great weekend and I'll be back on Monday morning. Now, I'm off to the gym - still not allowed to swim, but I'm starting to get used to the elliptical and the bikes once again. Still ... I miss my water. LOL 




No comments: