Thursday, December 6, 2018

Haircut, Cards and Donations

It's always a bit weird to get a haircut. I had 6"-8" cut off the bottom of my hair yesterday, and it brushes my shoulders now in a much fuller-looking bob. Nothing fancy, but it will get me through the holiday. Of course, DH who had been so unsure about my getting my hair cut in the first place, looked, said it wasn't any different, sniffed, and went to gather his dinner together. OK ... totally unimpressed. All I care about is that it looks a bit better, although the top of my head will take months to fill back out. I'm estimating trims every 2-3 months, and that's good, because it was EXPENSIVE! I'm going to make my "oblivious" hubby pay for the cuts, though. 



JUUT Salon is an Aveda salon. I used to go to one in a southern
suburb many years ago. It's pricey! But it's also really close to
my home. I could walk here in nice weather if I wanted to. Since
I didn't go super short, I won't have the 4-6 week maintenance
needed, so I can handle every 2-3 months. 



ALL of my holiday cards have now been mailed and I've put my tools, stamps, dyes, etc, back into their places in the art room. I'm really happy with this year's card. Although the actual images are heat-embossed stamps (house-mouse, remember?), each front and inside was individually hand painted. The back piece and the mouse across the envelope seal are copies of four different mouse paintings that I did, cut and sized, and then permanently mounted with adhesive. It was really fun making the cards this year and I want to use these precious mice on another card because I have several more images in my collection. 



Although I own this House Mouse stamp, it's NOT one
that was used in your cards this year. It's adorable, though! 



I'm already starting to think about next year's card. I think I will include an ornament, so I'll try to get started on that rather early (for a change). I have so much going on next year that early will most certainly be better! So ... now I can start concentrating on this year's Holiday season - Hanukkah which is happening now, Solstice which is coming up on the 21st, and Christmas on the 25th. I have presents to buy, calendars to order, and family events to attend over the next month. I suspect all of you are also busy with so many things. 



At this time of the year, we're all bombarded by charitable donation
requests. Choose your charities carefully and make sure they
represent your personal values. Also, donations don't have to
be monetary. There are many ways to help others. 



As we move into this season of celebration, please remember kindness. It's a stressful time of the year for everyone, and can be very difficult for for many people. Smile, donate to charity, help a friend or neighbor, be a positive note in the seasonal chorus. I'm going to take some time to figure out the next things I need and get going on those, as well as line up my charities for my end-of-year donations. I'm sure I'll donate to Trevor Project, and the Human Rights Campaign, but I'm not sure about the other two this year. Public Broadcasting (TV and Radio) are monthly, so I don't have to think about them. Hmmm ... how can I best help? Do you have a favorite charity? Share with me - which one and why? 

Have a wonderful Thursday. I'm going to hunt up some photos and then get to the pool. It's another day in the Frozen Northlands. 




No comments: