Saturday, September 15, 2018

Project Runway - Will It Still Live On?

Fall is fashion time because many people begin the switch from the light-weight and colorful fabrics of summer to the heavier-weight fabrics and more sedate colors of winter. Although today is hot, hot, hot, up here in the Frozen Northlands, last week was cool and the leaves are starting to turn. Fashion Weeks are scheduled and color palettes are being released, with Pantone releasing its' palette from the Spring/Summer London Fashion Week just this morning. Want to take a look at those colors? Click on the link here



Heidi announced that she and Tim Gunn were leaving the
show in a Twitter post on September 7th. They will be
partnering up with Amazon for a new fashion venture. 



Of course, fashion and color make me think about Project Runway. The old standard got a major shake-up at the end of last season - Season 16 - with the sexual harassment charges that were brought against Harvey Weinstein. He was accused of rape, improper conduct and many other things and it brought down his company, Miramax. What does this have to do with Project Runway? He was the husband of judge Georgina Chapman and it was his influence that had placed the show on the Lifetime network. With him out of the picture and divorced (or in the process of divorce - I'm not exactly sure) from Georgina Chapman, the money has stopped. Project Runway was cast out into the cold. 



To remind you of last season, here is Season 16's winner,
Kentaro Kameyama's winning Runway
collection. 



In the early days, Project Runway had a different network home - on Bravo. Shortly after Lifetime cut ties with the show, Heidi Klum announced that Season 17 would have the show moving back to its roots on the Bravo channel. I have fairly basic cable, so I'm not 100% sure I actually can get the Bravo channel, but if I do, I'll at least watch this next season which will begin in 2018. BUT, there will be a LOT of other changes. 



I'm not all% sure I liked his collection, but
I really supported Season 16's emphasis on
models of all sizes. 



Within the past week came the announcement that both Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn have left Project Runway for a new fashion venture with Amazon. A few hours later, Zach Posen also announced his withdrawal from the show, hinting at new projects in his future. That leaves Nina Garcia and Georgina Chapman as judges ... maybe. 



Kentaro had a distinct style, and as I recall, he had also
composed his own music for the Runway walk -
a tonal piece which was firmly Japanese. 



As one of the richest "reality" contest shows on television, Project Runway held a unique slot in the genre. Winners received a substantial hand up in the fashion world, and several have gone on to become well-known and respected in the industry with easily recognized names. At the top of this list is Christian Siriano, whose make-up line is now spotlighted at Target stores throughout the nation. 



The four fashion photos are all of Kentaro's winning
Project Runway Fashion Week walk. It was a
unique viewpoint, but not one that I shared.
I probably would have chosen a different designer
as the winner. 



So what will happen with Project Runway? If it actually airs next year, I'll probably be watching - if for no other reason than watching train wrecks can be interesting. Will it be as fun without Heidi? Actually, I have no problem having PR without her. How about Tim Gunn? I'll seriously miss Tim Gunn. In a world that is cut-throat and often draws blood, Tim was a steady companion, a voice of calm, and a confidant. He'll be sorely missed. 



My Unci Zona (Grandma Zona, the woman on the right) died on
this day in 2001 at the age of 92. Her one remaining sister,
Auntie Sadie, passed on less than a year later. I still can't read
the death notices without weeping. I miss you, Unci. *LOVE*



So that's the down-low as I've heard it up to this point. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I'll be test-driving the truck with DH tonight, and we'll be celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary at the Renaissance Festival tomorrow. It'll be a fun weekend, probably our last hurrah for warm temperatures before autumn finally clamps down. I'll be back on Monday! 




No comments: