Monday, March 5, 2018

A Bit of Oscars Fashion

DH and I spent Sunday night watching a movie - but nothing that would have been awarded an Academy Award. We watched "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although we did catch little bits and pieces of the Oscars afterward, we generally managed to avoid it, which made me happy. I buried my nose in my latest book, and glanced up at the screen occasionally. I did look through a lot of fashion this morning, however, and chose a small number of outfits to share with you. 

I was pleased to see that the trend of transparent or translucent dresses at events didn't seem to carry through heavily into the Oscars. It looked like a return to glitz and glam and I was happy to see it. Clothing wasn't conservative, it was classic. There's an important difference there. Styling was reasonable, jewelry was bling, and political statements, although present, were minimal. I chose a small sampling of Red Carpet clothes to share with you. 



Chadwick Bowman was resplendent in
embroidered Givenchy. The broad lapels
were highly embellished, the cut was
classic, and the ensemble well put together. 



Jane Fonda looked fantastic in this structured and
sculpted white gown by Balmain. There were a
number of older award winners who were celebrated
throughout the evening and they pretty much
looked amazing. I can dream of looking this
good at her age. 



Lupita Nyong'o looked spectacular in this
dress of molten metallic fabric. It suited her
beautifully. I was't able to find out the name
of the designer, and I looked hard, but
I really adored the dress. 



There were a lot of gowns inspired by old
Hollywood, including this stunner worn
by Molly Sims. The design, by Naeeman
Khan, was beautifully draped and the
fabric was total glam. 



Only Nicole Kidman could pull off a giant
bow around her hips, but on her it worked.
The dress, by Armani Prive, hugged her
figure in all the right places. 



I only chose five outfits to show you. but websites abound with the fashion of the night. Color seemed to be common and across the spectrum with some wonderful bright yellow gowns among them - a color I don't see at formal events often. I was delighted to see that this year's fashions truly played homage to Old Hollywood and the 90-year tradition that are the Academy Awards. I guess I should probably at least read the list of the winners. 

I'm in the middle of a Winter Storm Watch, and I'm divided on whether to drive out for my chiropractic appointment, or whether to blow off the appointment and go to the gym that's closer to home. Right now, closer to home is sounding really good. Stay warm, stay safe, and have a great Monday. I'll be back tomorrow. 


No comments: