Thursday, February 22, 2018

Things Are Wrapping Up - A Win/Win Day

As I planned yesterday, I took my phone over to the repair place and had them check the charger. Of course, for that I removed my Otter Box - the protective casing that I have around my phone because I have been known to drop the phone at odd times. Of course, the phone worked perfectly with their charger plugs. They could repair it ... but they would have to order the part and "soldering would be involved" which they "couldn't guarantee". Apparently the phone would work when I picked it up, but there were no guarantees about how long it would work. 



I really like my phone - it's dated now, there are newer and better
out there on the market, but my phone is sized perfectly for my
hand and I hate transferring things from one machine to another. 



I can solder a circuit board myself - there's really not that much to it. But since the phone seemed to be behaving itself, I decided not to schedule the repair (which would have cost approx $100). I did go over to the Verizon store to look at currently available phones. Then I returned home and decided to cut off the Otter Box flap covering the charge connection instead of spending $100 on a short-term fix. Voila! Things seem to be charging just fine now, so maybe something that stupid is all I needed. I'll keep an eye on it, of course, but right now things seem to be OK. 



The Google Pixel 2 has a lot of similarities
to what I already own. Although I'm hoping my
current phone will last for a lot longer, it's nice
that there's something out there that interests
me if I have to replace it. 



It was fun looking at the new phones and all of the other peripherals at the store. I suspect that when I actually am in the mood to replace my phone, I might choose one of the Google phones. I really like the Android system - I've used it so much it's intuitive for my eyes and fingers now. I started reading through reviews of Google phones last night and it's getting some rather nice ones. Of course, I would love to avoid getting a new phone for as long as possible, and if my current one behaves I'll keep it past its' payoff date. 



Congrats and "well done" to the US Women's Hockey team, who
won our first Gold Medal since 1998 in a hard-fought game
against Canada. 



Congrats have to go out to the US Women's Hockey team for a shootout win over Canada to get back the Gold. I know it was a VERY long game. When I awakened at 2:00 am, DH was still watching it, although his lights were out when I got up at 3:00 am. Apparently the game went to a second shootout, so it was a well played and hard fought game on both sides between two very well matched teams. This time we got the win. See you again in Beijing, Canada! Bring it on! 



Jessie Diggins poured it on in cross-country skiing to win
the Gold Medal - Team USA's first ever Gold Medal
in cross-country skiing. Afton, MN is already planning
how to welcome her back home, and the local ice
cream shop is planning to make a new flavor in her honor.
Way To Go, Jessie! 



Things are wrapping up in PyeongChang, South Korea. It's been a great venue and there have been some really wonderful runs and successes. I love the winter Olympics. I know I've said that before, and I'm sure I'll say it again. There are very few aspect of winter sport that don't thrill me. From cross-country skiing (one more hurrah for our local girl, Jessie Diggins from Afton, Minnesota), to Big Air, I love them all. 

Today it's back to routine for me, and that's probably a good thing when things are said and done. Routine can be comforting and can be fun. Of course, I'll be listening to the Olympics in the next room. There are still medals available - maybe in Men's Curling? We're into the semi-finals for the first time in a LONG time. Enjoy your Thursday! 


No comments: