Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Bring It On - A New Year Begins

Hello and Happy New Year to all of my on-line friends, relatives and readers. It's a cold one here in the Frozen Northlands, but we finally broke the "Dangerous Wind Chill" cycle yesterday, after more than four days in the sub-zero icebox. Looking at my phone this morning, it's a joy to see six degrees ABOVE zero instead of seeing that minus sign in front of the number. I'm sure there is still some breeze, so it'll still be plenty cold, but I won't turn into a frozen statue of ice while waiting for the pool to open this morning. 



This stunning ice sculpture won first prize in Japan in 2010. Here in the
Twin Cities, we have an ice sculpture competition during our Winter
Carnival celebrations each year. The past few years have been warm,
this year will probably be quite frosty. 



I just came off a three-day holiday, the second in two weeks. I have to admit, last week's holiday was more successful than this week's turned out to be. On Sunday, we all gathered at my niece's house for a holiday pot-luck get together. I tried a new recipe for sweet and sour meatballs and it was a total hit. The house was a zoo, with DH's sister being the elder statesperson, and DH and I runners up. It always feels rather strange to be an elder. I still feel like a young person, but know I don't qualify. 



I'm not sure about this definition, the "relaxing"
part of it seems deceptive. Maybe DH and I will
get there eventually, but I'm not holding my
breath. 



Seven of the eight kids of my sister-in-law showed up, their spouses and kids accompanying them. Let me see if I can make a basic count: Michael +2, Catie, +3, David +3, Joe +1, Mary +4, Annie +4, John +2, and the three elders. That's 29 people in a small house, watching the TV, catching up on whatever news is worth discussing of family business and events, and watching the kids tear into their holiday gifts. Wait - holiday gifts a week after Christmas? Yes. The nieces decided years ago that their actual holidays would be much more restful if they designated one day after Christmas to a get-together and a gift exchange for the younger kids. It does help to both lessen the noise level and also to minimize fights and tears among the kids. 



Exchanging gifts for the kids at a different time than
the adults is much easier on the ears and body.
It makes for a house full of people, but we all had a
really good time and I don't think we wrecked
Mary's house too badly. 



After we returned home we watched two episodes of "Midsomer Murders" and tumbled into sleep. Coughing awakened me the next day. Apparently DH had either caught a cold, or one had been lurking in the background ready to pounce. Well, it unsheathed its' claws and did a number on him. Monday and Tuesday were spent with him mostly in bed, lots of hot tea and soup, and laundry. I figured I might as well get laundry taken care of since I was working for the rest of the week and wouldn't have the time. And it wasn't as if DH and I were actually going to do anything since he was sick. 



Poor hubby is NOT feeling well. But he has to work
on Wednesday and Thursday. If he's still sick on
Friday, he can spend the day in bed and then
try to recover some more over the weekend. 



So here I am, starting my new year out both good and bad. I'm pretty much caught up on laundry that desperately needed doing, I'm a few pounds higher than I want to be (too much salt, too much water retention), but I'll be at the pool in a little over an hour from now. DH is sick - and he has to work for the next two days, so that's not great. But ... 



One of my favorite calendars each year is my "Witches'
Calendar". I adore her artwork - scratchboard with
color added - exceptionally beautifully rendered. 



We made it through the new year, the new calendars are hung and being admired every time I look at them, and we're ready to start the new year. Bring It On! 


No comments: